Moving baby to toddler bed??

My sons crib just broke. He is 15 months old. I need to get him a new bed but I am debating on getting a crib or toddler bed. I just need opinions...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• He's old enough to be in a bed. Since toddler beds are low to the ground you don't have to worry about falling out. However, I never wasted my money on them. They grow out of the toddler bed so fast. I just got them regular beds and bought the railing to use with it. My kids are 19 months apart, so I needed to get my daughter out of the crib and into a bed before my son was born. We have a daybed with a trundle for guests and used the trundle for her to learn to be in a bed. We just left the trundle in the lower position and not raise it up. We also thought that once she was in a bed she would get out and walk around the house and get into stuff, but she never got off the bed until we went in her room to get her.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 3:34 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• he is old enough my oldest was in one at 11 months and my second was in one at 14 or 15 months
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:59 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• my son moved to a bed at 19 months old. If you decide on a bed just use the mattress(es) and a rail (if he falls it isnt a far fall )and make sure you baby-proof the room. Attach furniture to the wall, cover the outlets, if he is tall attach some doorknob covers. Toddler beds use crib matresses so it will save you some money and buy some new bedding to make it more exciting! My son liked the bed right away. Because of the new freedom it took him a while to get used to knowing the bed is for sleep (he'd just get up and play whenever and usually fell asleep on the floor) but he got the hang of it after a while
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:20 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I always kept mine in a crib as long as possible to prevent nighttime wandering. But if I were in your situation, and you're not planning to have anymore babies after this one, I wouldn't bother replacing the crib. A toddler bed would be fine, and you can even use the little railings on one if it would make your child feel more secure.
    jengray72

Answer by jengray72 at 6:37 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• we was torn between toddler and regular bed for our now 2 1/2 yr old. He was in a transitional bed from 12mos on since he was able to climb over the rail of the crib(it was one of the cribs that turn into transitional bed,then toddler bed)...then i got pregnant and needed the crib. Let me tell you, i researched on toddler beds just to find out that in 3 yrs i would most liekyl have to buy a new bed because they only hold so much weight(which was very little). We went to Ikea and bought a twin size bed that sits low so he can get in and out easy. He loooves his big boy bed! I personally think toddler beds are a total waste of money since you have to buy a new bed and new mattressin a couple of years. THat Ikea bed -if it makes it THAT long_ goes well into his tweens!And was only $40 compared to the some $100+ todler beds. the mattress was $99 so i got a bed and a mattress that will work for him a very long time for $140!
    Davina85

Answer by Davina85 at 6:52 PM on Feb. 12, 2011