I can't hold things anymore with my hands! How to Explain?

When I lost every single hair on my body you could Tell.. Now I live with Brutal, horrible Side effects from 3 Chemos and other treatments!.. One being I can't hold things well. Like I was shopping and a beautiful old Mary Planter let go, fell and shattered!! Many more stories like this! But it can take me like 15 minutes to put on a necklace! Cutting food. Holding anything is hard! I'll drop glasses and what not Etc.. Without any warning. When I drop things I feel Hopeless And shattered! Like I made a spaghetti dinner. All by myself. Then as I filled my bowl I dropped it on my damaged always throbbing toe! It hurt so Bad & wasted all the food! And I got hysterical! I don't want people to know of all my side effects.. But how to not have people hand me what I'm afraid I'd drop! Babies, antiques, glasses, bottles, vases Etc?? Especially at Weddings, events, pot luck Etc.. And I can't help the hostesses anymore! That so bothers and hurts me! I think I look & feel like walking dead. DH says I don't! But I don't want to break or drop anything at places I go.

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 3:51 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Health

• Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry. I would maybe make light of it; "I better not hold (whatever), I'm a little clutzy" or something like that. I'm sure that the people who love you don't think you look like the walking dead - it's hard recovering from an illness and you need to give yourself time to heal.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:59 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Be HONEST. It is not that big a deal, if you just let people know, they will rally around you and protect you and their babies naturally.

By not telling people, you are actually calling more attention to yourself in the form of negative attention instead of positive attention.

There comes a time in life where you just have to ask for and accept help. With more experience you will learn to anticipate the dropsies and compensate. You might have to use one of those slings intended to hold a child but you use it to transport other bundles.

EVERYONE adjusts to changes in their lives, its just another phase. A progression through time with the necessary adjustments. Don't look for reasons to freak out, just learn to live the best life you can, openly and honestly is much easier. Take care and trust those around you to take care of you.

rocknroth

Answer by rocknroth at 4:12 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• yes i know what you mean hun, ive not had chemo but i have trouble with holding things .. opening things etc x and now ive got to a point that ill tell ppl first so then at least they dont think im being lazy or dont wanna help good luck x0x0x0x
    san78

Answer by san78 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• i cant even put on a necklace!
    san78