Turning a bad marriage to a good one?

Anyone have a marriage that was very troubled and was able to turn it around to really be happy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• Honestly, no. In my last marriage once he actually made an attempt it was too little too late. I have friends that separated for a year right after their son was born. They got back together because of their son, and are still married to this day (he's 12 now). I wouldn't call them happy, they just sort of figured out how to live with each other.

I believe if two people want to be happy they will be - but it takes a lot of work and compromise from both of them.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:13 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I know it sounds played out, but it really is true....communication is the key. You also need the DESIRE to make the marriage better and you also need COMPASSION AND SELFLESSNESS. Without any of those from BOTH parties it's either not going to work, or it's going to be a lonely and miserable ride in the marriage!
    Me and my hub are getting over his hateful words, his neglect of me, lack of money.
    Anything is possible!
    Anonymous

• It is possible, just take therapy of some kind, because obviously trying to do it themselves didn't work up to the breaking point???

Only time we had to seek help, was because my husband has a mentally ill ex, who has absolutely no clue about how her cause has effect, much less what is morally correct. I'd gotten to the point after all I'd been through, that I was done? Everything about his ex was infecting our home... has to through marriage counseling realize what was positive/negative, and start cutting out those that serve no positive purpose??? We've actually been doing better in all aspects, from financial, to our relationship, to our lives in general!!! But it didn't come until we cut out the parts of our lives that brought nothing but decay to those around them...

Each person learns their own tools to fix things, depending on what they are facing... SEEK HELP
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 4:21 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• yes. A good number of problems in marriage are the result of having had a poor example or none at all. It takes patience and determination, but being commited to love is a powerful force and the results are well worth the effort.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:35 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I've had three of them and none of them turned and got happy.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:43 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Yes. My husband even cheated on me at one point. That was actually the turning point. We worked through it and our relationship is better than it's ever been. I am truly happy. It takes a lot of work for both people, but it can be don't. You have to communicate and be willing to compromise. I choose to love my husband through everything, and that made all the difference.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 5:29 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• *done
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 5:30 PM on Feb. 12, 2011