We have a stray (possibly abandoned) cat that has been coming to our back door daily...

I have been feeding her 1 can of Friskies wet in the morning then leaving out dry for the remainder of the day. She always seems hungry. How much wet should I be giving? How much dry? And no, she's not pregnant.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 4:32 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Pets

• That sounds about right for a cat that is living outside.They need extra calories during the winter to keep warm.Most likely the cat will eat what it needs so you can judge the amout accordingly.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 4:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• That sounds like plenty to me. You should also leave some water out for the poor kitty. I think its great what you are doing. There is a stray rabbit around my house and I really want to feed it because its eating woody branches on the bushes and plants around my house, but I don't want to encourage it so that it will come back this summer and destroy my plants! OK, I did throw out some lettuce for it today.
    Iluvautumn

Answer by Iluvautumn at 4:47 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Aww- that's very nice of you! Looks like you have a new friend. You are feeding her enough. And who knows, she may be making her rounds to other kind-hearted homes. If she's always been a stray, then she's probably used to devouring her food whenever she can, not knowing where the next meal will come from. Bless you for looking out for this poor creature. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:50 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• ok your being very kind to this animal but the kindest thing you can do is to catch her and take her to a shelter....that way she will get fixed and possibly adopted...stray cats are a big nuisance in my area...its also kitten season they are breeding here like crazy.
    I personally dont feed stray cats for this reason, they move on if they arent getting fed and thats fine with me.....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 5:20 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• God Bless you for taking care of her. You are feeding her right. I would name her, spay her and keep her for a new family member. God sent her to you because he knew you are a caring person. I truly believe that. what does she look like. Let us know if you keep her and what you name her please. Bless your heart.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 10:20 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• That sounds like enough food daily for her, but being left outdoors she might be wormy and that can definitely increase her appetite. The way to know for sure if she has internal parasites is to either take a stool sample from her to the vet, they will find the worm eggs or tape worm segments using the microscope. Otherwise, you might consider giving her a dose of dewormer as simple precaution.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:38 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Heads up: she's no longer a stray. You've been adopted by a kitty. IMO, the cats that adopt you are the absolute best.

Now, however, know that you are responsible for her welfare. You seem to be feeding her plenty, I hope you are able to keep fresh water available, too. If you are able to touch the kitty (sounds like this is the case), you ought to take her to a vet to have her checked over and, at the very least, dewormed and vaccinated against rabies (as required by law). There is a lot of other stuff that is important, but that'll get you started if you cannot do it all at once.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 2:18 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• If you ask the shelters they can give you info on shot and spay clinics that will fix the kitty up pretty cheap for you if you decide to take full responsibility for her.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:45 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• She is now used to us enough that she comes in the house for short periods of time. She even jumped on the couch with me, that's why I feel she's abandoned and not a feral stray.
    I can certainly take her to the vet to get checked over. My husband told her last night to just "come in and stay already!" lol

We had found a stray dog that we had dewormed, shots, and neutered. Then we rehomed. I guess the strays know we're big saps.
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• At least you are looking out for them. better to do this for them than leave them alone and always wonder what if? I passed a pit bull with bad mange but my friend I was in the car with wouldn't stop. I still think about this poor dog.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 1:47 PM on Feb. 13, 2011