Fundraising Ideas for Elementary School

Okay, well I did a really brave (or stupid) thing and signed up to chair the Fundraising for our local Elementary school this week. As I am a new parent with a first year student I don't even know what fundraisers are done at Elementary Schools. But I'm not afraid to do it. I just need some help.

What Fundraisers have you done at your Elementary school that you really liked and that brought in the most dollars?

Thanks to everyone who gave an idea. I didn't really want to close the question yet...ooops Anyone else have a good idea?

oregonmom22

Asked by oregonmom22 at 4:47 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Go to http://www.funpastafundraising.com/. When my kids were in pre-k the pta used them to raise some money. There were only 80 kids in the program and we raised a ton of money. Everyone eats pasta, especially at the elementary school age. At the time each bag of pasta sold for $5 and we made half of every bag sold. Kids loved the different shapes. It's better than the cookie and cake or wrapping paper sales most schools have.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 4:54 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• We used a company called "Dutch Mill Bulbs",selling flowers/plant bulbs. The per unit cost is $6 - everything costs the same. The school makes $3 for every unit sold. It was a very good experience and I highly recommend using them!
    Mamaoftwingles

Answer by Mamaoftwingles at 4:51 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• You could have a donation yard sale.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 4:59 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• www.partylite.biz/corimiller

Partylite fundraisers are awesome, b/c you get 50% of the profit, they are priced well, no stocking, no sorting! They go straight to the purchaser. Plus, you would be helping a SAHM mom in her home based business & get personal customer service!

More info on the site above!
    liteofmine71

Answer by liteofmine71 at 5:03 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Personally I HATE when the school pimps out the kids to buy crap.

Restaurant nights are nice... specially if they do take out.  But the money trickles in... not a huge money maker.

Our big fundraiser of the year (nets about 60+K) is a carnival. It does require HEAVY parent volunteer participation but it is a fun time for the whole family and eliminates the kids the annoying door to door and bug the family crap that most schools do. We have fair type games, jumpies (make sure you are following insurance guidelines) and a silent auction.

Anonymous

• We need about 80K to purchase an updated math curriculum for our school. Our current one is 12 years old. If every family donated $100 and some local businesses kicked in, it would happen, but that's hardly likely . In the meantime our teachers lunch room dishwasher went out and our state has cut out 10 days of the remaining school year due to budget cuts. All of the teachers are losing those 10 days worth of pay. Several teachers will lose their jobs this September. We didn't have art, music or PE this year. Our PTO dollars fund classroom supplies, science projects, teacher gifts, Harvest Festival prizes. Classroom contest prizes and so much more. The fundraisers are really necessary to make the school more than basic math and reading. It puts the fun stuff into the classrooms and give the teachers things they need to teach our children but that the school budget cant afford to give them
    oregonmom22

Comment by oregonmom22 (original poster) at 6:22 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• That last post was for some people who are saying they hate the fundraisers. It would be nice if there was another way, but try getting $100 cash from every family in a Public School. Not going to happen. Our district is short 750,000 dollars this year. The need for fundraising is an understatement. But every bit will help fill in the gaps and make up just a little bit of what they are having to cut.

Thank you again for all of those who volunteered great fundraising ideas. I will share them all at our next PTO meeting!
    oregonmom22

Comment by oregonmom22 (original poster) at 6:26 PM on Feb. 12, 2011