Why do they listen to him and not me?

My daughters 12 and 13 do not listen to me regarding anything! I could talk to them till their ears fall off, and they ignore. I tell them to do something and they ignore me. It wasn't always like this, just within the last year or so. If thier father tells them to do something, well they jump up and do it without complaint or whining! Heck, it has gotten to the point where I just wait till he comes home to even bother getting the girls to do homework or chores, otherwise I am wasting my breath. Any advice on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I agree with the above poster. My mom always told me, with the dad's there's the fear factor, because usually they are significantly bigger, and when they raise there voices, tend to scare. But both fear and respect. MAKE Them listen.
    Defintely have a sit down with both of them. Tell them as the woman that birthed you and put food, and clothing on the table for you, THEY will respect you and do as they are told. If not there will be consequences. Homework will be done RIGHT after school, NO PHONE, NO TV, NO COMPUTER (unless required for homework). If you have to ask more than once...stuff gets taken. Chores same thing. They will NOT question you, ignore you, or do anything while you are talking, and requests should be said ONCE.
    My mother put the fear in me and my siblings, by if we even looked at her wrong, she put a foot in our tail! lol...so, with that, we respected and feared her and did what she asked WITH NO TROUBLE.
    YanniSmoMMy

Answer by YanniSmoMMy at 12:33 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• R E S P E C T

THAT OR FEAR :)
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 6:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Children almost always respond to a Dad (or any man) better than the mother. Dad's are more frightening. As the previous poster stated, respect or fear. Perhaps a bit of both.

I don't know what to tell you on how to get them to listen to you. My children aren't that old yet.

Two preteen girls, I do NOT envy you.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 9:01 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Fear factor! I deal with some of the same...but I have decided they WILL listen to me because heaven forbid something happen to Bill and I am left with two teen boys that are only 13 months apart. So while they are only 2 and 3 I just keep on them like ugly on an Osborne and they are starting to get that I mean business.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:39 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I am right there with ya the only difference is mine are boys 10 and 11 yrs old. My hubby says im to soft and let too much slide for too long now they are taking advantage of that .
    sdADDmom

Answer by sdADDmom at 11:23 PM on Dec. 18, 2008