Is 15 months too young to potty train?

I bought a potty today soo i want to start my son is 15 months old and if you think its a good age tell me what pointers i need for successful potty training and if you think its too young then point me in the directions when i should start?

Luckyme3487

Asked by Luckyme3487 at 5:37 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no. a lot of people potty train before one. def not too early
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 5:40 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• soo whats the first step to potty train him?
    Luckyme3487

Comment by Luckyme3487 (original poster) at 5:41 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I think it's too young. You can introduce him to the idea of the potty, but very few children have the ability to control at that very young age. I think trying too soon actually sets some children back.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:43 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• He may not be able to grasp the full concept of it yet, but you can start familiarizing the potty and potty process with him. Have him follow you to the bathroom and sit on his potty when you go. Tell him what you are doing, and see if he is interested at all.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 5:45 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• In order to potty train your child needs to show a general interest in the activity, usually by ripping their diaper off, or wanting to use the potty anytime you go. If they have no interest then you're not going to have success training. They also need to have mature enough organs to potty train. You can not force a bladder to hold liquid if its not mature enough to do so. Usually if a child goes all night with a dry diaper, or is able to gesture/voice the need to pee then the organs are ready. Once they have a genuine interest, and the bladder mature to perform the action being asked is when potty training can begin. Boys typically mature much slower then girls, and although I'm not going to tell you what to do with your own child chances are you're not going to have success starting now. I could be wrong, but in my experience with many different children boys are not anatomically ready until at least 2, some almost 3.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:47 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I think that is very young to start trying to potty train. My older son didn't get trained until he was about 3 1/2.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 5:59 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Yes. I would wait. Learn from my pain and wait until he shows interest. He will not start Kindergarden in diapers I guarantee it. I was too fast with my oldest child and I am still paying for it. With my second I let him express interest and then he learned in 1 week. I think 2.5 is about right to start, but make sure he is initiating it.
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 6:04 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• If your child know pee/poop comes from them, can tell you after they've done it to change their diaper, and show other signs... GO FOR IT!!! Every child is different does things in THEIR own time... Wishing you the best of luck!!! ~*Hugs*~
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 6:05 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• The first steps to potty training are to find out the method you want to use. Go to the library and read some books on it to find out how you would like to approach the actual potty training. There are many many ways and it is really a personal choice how you want to do the training.
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 6:10 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• My library even has a potty training kit that includes a video and several books. It really neat and I used that as part of our potty training for both children.
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 6:11 PM on Feb. 12, 2011