• In the Spotlight:

Hmmm... to leave or not to leave?

my 14 yr old son wants to go to a particular restaurant (VERY family oriented) tonight with his buddies to celebrate his bday. Im debating on sitting at a different table... but I dont really want to sit alone, and there is no bar type area to sit in... or dropping them off and coming back when it is time to pay.

it isnt an actual bday party... just an acknowledgement and we (family) already had our dinner out with him.  Im sure 5/6 14 year old boys dont want mom around listening in on what they are chatting about.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I would sit at another table. Maybe you could ask a friend along.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• How about waiting in the car? Read a magazine or a book.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 5:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• id just give him some money to pay for his dinner and drop him off and pick him up when they get done. but maybe stay cloase like at a store or something near the resturant.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 5:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I'm a mom and I would not tell my child I would b there but I would find a place to hide so they didn't know I was there or the parking lot and keep coming in un noticed to check..16 I would let them on their own just my opnion
    littlesugar22

Answer by littlesugar22 at 5:41 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Invite a friend to go with you and sit at another table. I would not leave alone a group of 14 year-olds for whom I was responsible in a restaurant.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:41 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I say stick nearby but not in the restaurant. Make your expectations clear and maybe ask for a call when the bill is coming so you can be ready for pick-up.
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 5:47 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I think there is a store I could wander through in the same shopping center. All the boys have cells so I could be there in a heart beat if need be. I am going to guess that they would be there one to two hours because of the video games, and desserts. I trust them not to get wild... but Im sure they will be loud.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:50 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• maybe its me but isnt fourteen OLD enough to sit at a restaurant with his friends by himself and not be spyed on.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 6:10 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I would be sitting in that restaurant while they were in there eating. 14 yr olds aren't the most responsible people. I know my 14 yr old son and his friends and NONE of us parents would leave them in a restaruant completely alone. McDonald's sure but not a family one.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:33 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I think they will be much more mature acting if they are alone, than they would be if you were there. Fourteen is old enough, and I am assuming you have taught him some manners and social graces. Arrange with the hostess that she give you a call if need be. Ask your son how he feels about it. I have always had high expectations of my kids, and they have never let me down, in public anyway!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 3:34 AM on Feb. 13, 2011