How to choose a hospital and a doctor ? plz help me

today i found that i am pregnant :) hehehehe. so i am looking for hospital and doctor . i visited Edward hospital doctor (neparville,il) before trying for a baby which i like the doctor . but we moved to aurora 3months back . now central dupage hospital is near to our house .
here is my Q:
how to choose a hospital and a doctor ?
which hospital is best ? (Edward hospital OR central dupage hospital)

what kind of questions i need to ask before choose one?

is there any necessary to pick near hospital?

if anything i miss to ask plz share me
plz plzzz help me
thanks.

Edward hospital -- 25 to 30 min

central dupage hospital-- 15  to 20 min

blessmegod

Asked by blessmegod at 5:43 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• just go on a tour of the hospital near your house and see what you think. ask about security with newborns. sorry had a total brain fart so i cant think of too much to think of to ask.
    as for a doc just go with one that you feel comfortable with and tell them how you would like your birth plan to go and see if they support it and if not then changes. your choice in a doc is totaly based on how you feel about them. gl
    how far away is the other hospital you were planning on useing? you may still be able to use it.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 5:48 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I don't know the hospitals personally but first you just have to find out who accepts it. Then go for a first a first appt (they have to be accepting new pts) and just feel them out. Asking any question you could think of. Ask how they are in the delivery room. (hands off, hands on, quick for a c-section... all that) Just make sure you are comfortable and they respect your birth plan. It's kinda like shopping for a car lol
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 5:50 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• The first thing that we choose first is the closer, natural. word of mouth is alot of times the best, and having options are great to.
    urselbaker

Answer by urselbaker at 5:53 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Remember that the Doctor has to have priviliges at the hospital you chose.
    CharityS

Answer by CharityS at 5:57 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• You pick your doctor not the hospital. If you have several hospitals near you most doctors have priveleges at several. Ask friends for recommendations for an OBGYN. Check with your insurance company to see what docs are in your network. Unless you are a high risk mom or baby most labor and delivery rooms are pretty much the same. It's like going in for surgery. You can pick your surgeon but you don't get to pick the anesthesiologist.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 6:06 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I was in your shoes once. When I was prego with my 2nd my dr. stopped taking OB patients and no one at his clinic did so I had to find a new hospital and dr. I asked around to anyone I could ask. I asked them about the drs and the hospital and their experiences with both. I knew I would have more kids so I didnt want to go throught this again so I looked for a dr who was older but would def. be practicing for the next 5 to 7 years. I called up the OB department of the hospital and asked for a private tour and birthing prep (where I am from it didn't cost anything).

I wanted a dr that was easy to talk to, someone I felt comfortable around, knowledgable, ect. I wanted to know his protocal for if something were to go wrong throughout pregnancy or delivery. My first pregnancy was scary and I wanted to know that if there was an emergency he was going to react now not later.

My biggest advise, ask around.

Good Luck!!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 6:53 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Are you high-risk / need a surgeon?
    If not, you can include midwives in your search.
    Do you have an idea about what you want from your birth experience?
    This can help you when interviewing & choosing who is a better fit with you.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:25 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• doulala

• (*IN THE NEXT FEW BOXES)

Questions to Ask a Midwife
    Experience

1. What is your general philosophy about pregnancy and birth?
    2. Do you let us do whatever we want during labor? (Food, positions, water, etc.)
    3. What is your education and training as a midwife?
    4. How many years have you been practicing?
    5. Are you a mother yourself? How old are your children now?
    6. How were your babies born?
    7. Do you work alone or with a partner or assistant? If you work with someone, what is their experience?
    8. Do you participate in a local midwife peer review group? How many meetings have you attended in the past year?
    9. How many births have you attended as the primary caregiver?
    10. What is your experience with breech births? How many have you attended?
    11. What is your experience with twins? How many have you attended?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:26 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• 12.

Prenatal Care

1. How many births are you attending now? Do you have a maximum, and how do you manage to avoid too many commitments?
    2. If I am planning a home birth, do you come to my home any time before I go into labor? Do you provide supplies or literature to help us prepare?
    3. How often will I see you? What do your checkups consist of?
    4. What are your guidelines concerning weight gain, nutrition, prenatal vitamins, and exercise? What are your standards for pre-eclampsia?
    5. Do you require that I take a childbirth education class? Do you teach such a class?
    6. Who takes over for you if you go on vacation or get sick?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:27 PM on Feb. 12, 2011