How did you go about getting your kid to ride their bike without training wheels?

My son is five and has been riding his bike since he was 3. The thing is it is very rare he gets to ride because we live on a dirt road and the training wheels make it impossible to ride here. He only gets to ride when we go to the park and I bring his bike. So he hasn't really had much practice on his bike. I am thinking about just taking the training wheels off so he can ride around the neighborhood when he wants to. Do you think he would be ok even though he hasn't had much time on his bike with the training wheels? I think he just needs to learn without the training wheels.

kmath

Asked by kmath at 6:04 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I took dd to a grassy feild, and that way if she fell it wouldnt hurt. She learned in 2 hours, and was 5 1/2
    DS on the other hand, saw big sis and her friends riding all the time, so he wanted them off a few weeks before he turned 4. He took about 20 minutes!!! It was quite the sight,as he isnt that big, it looked so cute him zooming around the neighborhood.
    I wouldnt 'set him free to ride around' untill he is confident (and your confident) in his abilities riding. Not only stopping and breaking, knowing about road safty and cars, knowing to look for them, knowing how to look behind him without steering into the street.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 3:01 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• put some pads and a helmet on him and see how he does.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 6:11 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Does he want them off? If so, get pads and a helmet like PP states and let him go. He will get some bumps and bruises but make sure that you don't make too big of a deal about it so he knows that it's something that happens and you learn from it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:15 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• When they are ready and tell you it is what they want... my eldest son waited until he was ten, did it in a single day, and all his friends were around the gae of kindergarten!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 6:13 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Adjust little by little so training wheels are a little higher off the ground. That way they teeter back and forth and have to Kern to nonce a little. When you don't see them teetering......they're ready to come off;)
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 9:49 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I wouldn't take them off until he asks and is ready. Just continue to go to the park. My dd learned last summer, but she asked for to.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 12:08 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• DS wanted his training wheels off when he was just 4. I took them off to humor him, I thought for sure we'd be putting them back on later that day. I was wrong! He started on the grass, I ran alongside him. He fell once or twice, but got it pretty quick! Our 4 year old neighbor saw him riding and wanted hers off, too...so we let her try on ds' bike, another neighbor mom ran along with her, and she got it in like 5 minutes!

I'd wait til he asks for them off, put on the safety gear, and give it a try.
    JonesMama

Answer by JonesMama at 12:45 AM on Feb. 14, 2011