What causes someone to still have a "period" while pregnant?

I'm just curious...cause my friend was pregnant and was having her periods...I'm not sure how heavy they were but she told me they didn't change any for the first 5 months and then she missed one finally and went to the doc and they realized she was 5 months along!

What can cause that? Is it really possible to have an actual real period while pregnant? Like obviously I know you wouldn't be producing an egg...but like is it possible to be bleeding heavy enough to resemble a period when you are pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• No it is not possible to have an actual PERIOD because that is the shedding of the uterine lining. If the woman was pregnant and that started to happen, she would miscarry. However I think about 30% of women experience some type of bleeding during pregnancy that can be caused from an irritated cervix and other things. However, no bleeding during a healthy pregnancy would be an actual period. But someone might bleed enough to resemble a light period, although it would be something else.
    Anonymous

• I don't mean a real period, I worded my question wrong. I meant something that resembles a real period...bad enough bleeding that anyone could easily confuse it for a real period. I know you won't shed your uterine lining or produce a new egg during pregnancy, I'm aware that would be miscarriage.

I was just not paying attention to what I was saying.

Can there be a significant enough amount of bleeding for someone to mistake it for their period? and would it come the same time every month or would it be random?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:18 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• usually women with placenta previa have bleeding, it's not usually on a schedule or anything and can be confused for a period. i do know a woman that has two uteri and she had actual periods while still being pregnant. they couldn't figure her out and thought she was making things up or something and after the birth of her THIRD child the doctor (a different dr) realized what was going on
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:18 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• i believe the bleeding is some cases is caused by a cysts. probably by the corpus leteum
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:20 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• during the second half of your menstrual cycle you may have a small fluid filled sac known as a corpus luteal cyst. A corpus luteal cyst is known as a functional cyst. This arises as a cyst of the corpus luteum, the empty follicle after ovulation. The corpus luteum releases progesterone until the placenta takes over this function around 12 weeks gestation. It is diagnosed via ultrasound.
    A corpus luteal cysts is usually not a cause for concern nor does it usually adversely effect the pregnancy or cause miscarriage. Sometimes you may experience a bit of pain or tenderness. Your doctor or midwife may prescribe pelvic rest or pain medications. The most frequent scenario is that the cyst will resolve on its own. Occasionally the cyst will rupture causing pain and even less likely, the cyst could cause the ovary to twist and potentially require surgery.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:24 PM on Feb. 12, 2011