Why are the needy only thought of during the holidays? Aren't they just as needy throughout the rest of the year?

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 6:32 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Holidays

• ~*YES*~... my husband is a mailman and they off set their pick up to help out each local food shelter (on their time BTW) just for this aspect!!! I wish with all my heart people would do more outside of the holidays... hunger doesn't just hit because Christmas is coming up!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 6:34 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• A very good point . My husband helps to run a food bank and fortunately many donors do realise that it as ongoing problem , especially churches, voluntary organisations and some businesses.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 6:36 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• of course, what is it you need, reach out and ask, or go to a place that is an outreach center, or food bank, or even volunteer if it's burning in your soul to do that. sounds like a good time is any time in this world, now is a good time.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 6:37 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Things are done year round. At Christmas more people get involved. People and churches give and provide all year.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:41 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• My 10 yo daughter inspired this question... She asked why we only collected can food at Thanksgiving and Christmas. She is wanting to know if we could go door to door and do our own can food drive for the needy in our community. I'm not sure how receptive people will be with her idea...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Comment by SWEETPEAS3MOM (original poster) at 6:42 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• right on OP very true.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:54 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Do it, people almost never mind helping out the needy, esp since most ppl have taxs back and have money to spare. We tithe on our refund check so every year around march or so we have a chunck of change to donate.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 6:56 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I know there are food drives nearly all year long, esp. in this economic climate. I try to give whenever I can, not just at the major holidays.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:15 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• There was a local food bank back in my home town that did drives throughout the year not just on Holidays but people make it a bigger deal to hopefully get more people to donate.
    1stTimeMommy101

Answer by 1stTimeMommy101 at 5:20 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Good question! I think about the needy 365 days a year, and do my part.

Answer by older at 11:19 AM on Feb. 13, 2011