How much does an average newborn sleep through the night?

I just had my son, Keaton Gabriel August, on February 1st 2011. He is formula fed and sleeping only about 2 hours each night because he just doesn't like to sleep at night. What can I do to help him sleep? He sleeps all the time during the day but not during the night. Please Help!

MommytoKeaton77

Asked by MommytoKeaton77 at 6:35 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That is typical. Most will only sleep in 2-3 hour periods. Their tummies aren't big enough to hold much food so they wake to eat frequently.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:36 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Oh, one other thing. Since when you were pregnant, babies tend to sleep most when mommy is active. The rocking motion of mommys body puts them to sleep. At night, when mommy rests, babies wake up.
    Your infant is still on womb time. Meaning, they are sleepy during the day but awake at night. Baby will have to get used to the change.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:37 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• A newborn will only sleep 2 to 4 hours at a time, give or take, because that's how often they have to eat. That's for about the first month, and then they start to be able to sleep for a longer stretch, which is when you can help them to discern between day and night. It's exhausting, I know, but we've all done it! Just sleep when he takes his little cat naps and you'll be fine.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 6:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• they do have a teddy bear that sounds like the inside of mommys tummy . you could try that. it helped with mine when she was little. I also rocked her to sleep or cuddled with her for awhile. It will be a little bit yet before he sleeps through the night
    princesschilly

Answer by princesschilly at 6:41 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Jademom is right...it is typical for newborns to wake up every couple of hours to feed. I have 4 boys and my 9 1/2 months old is just now starting to sleep 5hrs at a time at night. He is breastfed so he would wake up every hour and a half for the longest time to nurse. It will get easier as the baby adjusts to nights and days. Congrats on the baby.....my oldest son just turned 6 on Feb 1st :)
    team21

Answer by team21 at 7:07 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• That's very normal. He still has his days and nights confused. With my DS, we made sure we had lights on and window curtains open during the day and at night we would turn the lights off and lower the tv volume when getting ready for bed so that he would eventually learn the difference. Eventually he would stay up for longer periods during the day and sleep 5 hours at a time once he was laid down for bed. He now sleeps for 9-11 hrs at night and is 11 1/2 weeks old. Keep in mind all babies are different and they all have their own schedule. By the way, Congratulations on your baby boy!
    pinkie8986

Answer by pinkie8986 at 7:40 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I always woke all 5 of mine up during the day at least every 3 hours to eat, and then let them sleep as long as they would at night. They learned pretty quickly to get in their longer (at that age 5 hours is long!) sleeps at night. Also, make sure that things are very boring at night, lights are kept low, no tv/radio, etc.. A small blankie that I wore under my shirt during the day helped them have my smell with them at night and a "heartbeat" bear or other white noise machine or soft classical music might also help.

Answer by missanc at 8:15 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• 2 hours at a time is pretty average IMO. I only remember my youngest, he woke up every 30-90 minutes during the night for the first 2 months.
    Anonymous

• 2-3 hours, he'll get his days and night figured out soon. The best wat to help get them figured out is keep it bright and have noise during the day, dark and quiet at night & limit talking. My son was badd at first, he's 3 months now & sleeps from 9pm - 6am with one feeding thru the night & he falls asleep seconds after finishing his bottle (he's ff, & 4oz every 3-4 hours during the day). You'll get more sleep soon, just gotta have patience
    Mrs.Fleming

Answer by Mrs.Fleming at 12:03 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• here is an article about babies sleep it gives you the recommended hours for different ages

shirl16

Answer by shirl16 at 8:32 PM on Feb. 15, 2011