How do you find a good school/school district?

To be honest I am dreading this. My son is 4 1/2 yrs old and I hate thinking about sending him off to school next year. I really am 100% sold that homeschooling would be best for our family, husband does not want this....so I am looking for schools. He doesn't want private school either :( We are looking to move, so I would like to move where there is a good school for him to attend. Any ideas on how to search?

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 6:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in

• ~*Trial and Error*~... most people are oblivious to whether a school or district is all that great because quite honestly they can care less... schools have become a free babysitter to some! Ask around, walk in at odd time to ask a school for information... my husband once over heard a school nurse and one of the women in the office treating a little girl that was sick like crap, I refused to send my kid there!!!! What they do when they think no one is looking is a huge clue...
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 6:44 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• thanks!!! do you need an appointment to see a school?
    Precious333

Comment by Precious333 (original poster) at 6:51 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• You can find lots of information online. Most schools/districts post their test information and what level their school is (School of Excellence, etc). You can also talk to other parents who have older kids in the schools - you will get much less biased information that way rather than talking to the school officials. Our schools - yes you would have to have an appointment. No one is allowed to just walk around the school - you have to sign in at the school office.

Answer by missanc at 8:31 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Each school is required to post their data on their state's website. You can usually google (state) Department of Education and then there is usually a link for school data. You'll want to look at things like graduation rate, percent that pass the state standardized test, maybe school/teacher ratio, etc.

You can also go by word of mouth. Many times people have opinions because their children went to a certain school. But in all honesty, a lot of it comes down to your child's teacher. There are great teachers, good teachers, and so-so teachers in every school. It's hard to measure that unless you are actually IN the school.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 9:10 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• other ppls comments?
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:01 AM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I honestly don't trust tests, some kids may be really good test takers and others not so much. I do care about teacher/student ratio. I also care about the kids that are attending and their families. If there are a lot of bullies etc. Good teachers of course are very important :)
    Precious333

Comment by Precious333 (original poster) at 11:36 PM on Feb. 14, 2011