Son's Ex-GF

I love my son's first girlfriend. He's 20 now/ she's 19, they were together for about 2 years. They both told me they "broke up" last summer, even though they were often seen together, he gave her rides to work, she'd come over to say hi, gave each other nice XMas presents this year. Well, he has officially moved on now, has a new girlfriend. Is it weird for me to keep in contact with his ex? I mean, I don't fb her or call her, but I really like her and I see her sometimes where she works. LOL....I guess I mean how do I get over their breakup????/

kjrn79

Asked by kjrn79 at 6:44 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• Love this question.
    I'm sorry this is hard for you. There is nothing wrong with missing her. There is nothing wrong with being glad to see her when you do. She's sounds like a very nice person so enjoy the fact that you had the privilege to meet her.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:48 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I broke up with my ex in 2005. His sisters are still my best friend. And his mother and I still talk off and on throughout the years. He was pissed off for about a year, but he no longer cares. We have both moved on. It depends on how your son takes it. If he is going to be upset that your still talking to his ex, is it worth it?
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 6:47 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• ~*Yes*~... I personally have three sons, and I couldn't imagine allowing anyone they are not with the time and effort that should be going into meeting my potential daughter-in-law? Not to mention my home should be a safe place for my kids to fall not somene that is part oftheir past...

Ask his new GF out to lunch, on agirls shopping trip, and make an effort to get to know her... grieve the ex, and move on... because she might just steer clear of a MIL that can't let go of an ex, and you can possibly miss out on other aspects with this new girl? Usually an ex is an ex for a reason, and she probably has her own family, friends, and support network... your son needs you as HIS
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 6:48 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• i think you can be friendly to her..but i would not go out of my way to be "too friendly"..like going to lunch or anything like that. i would try to welcome the new gf.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:54 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• So mom you are the one having trouble letting go...right?...lol I am not making fun I just thought it was sweet of you I bet if you had any control over this your son and her would be together for along time. just be friends and if this new gf ends up sticking around for a long time just be her friend as well hey the past is the past. Hang in there mom you'll be fine. Just go with the flow I guess. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 6:54 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I don't think it's wrong for you to still talk to her at all! I still talk to my high school boyfriend's mom, and it's been six years since we were together! We're friends on fb and she's offered me rides home from work and everything. She really hated me after we broke up, because she was under the impression that it was my fault he didn't graduate high school and all this stuff... but then I had a baby a couple years after the break up, and we sort of bonded because she'd had her son at the same age. It was weird, but it's nice. Ha ha
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 6:59 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• No, it isn't wrong. I still speak to my ex fiance's Momma, cause she is like a Mom to me. He is married with three kids, and I am very happly Married to my Soulmate, with whom I created THE perfect Child. We have both moved on and it's not weird to share my life with Momma. And my Husband is just fine with it, as I would be if roles were reversed.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 7:15 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• thanks you guys, you are helping me put it in perspective. I do hope to get to know the new gf soon.
    kjrn79

Comment by kjrn79 (original poster) at 7:17 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I agree with all the PP's. Just be considerate of your sons new GF. It's not fair to her if you already have that place in your heart filled by someone else. Let the new gf have the queens chair, even though the ex can still be allowed in the palace.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 7:47 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I stay in touch with my ex's mother. She is my DS's grandma, but she and her husband have been there for me when everything with their son fell apart. I love them both, they're family to me. I don't think there's anything wrong with you talking to her. It's not like your trying to get them back together or anything.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 11:50 PM on Feb. 12, 2011