Can't wait to potty train, am i being swift?

I'm always eager to teach my little guy everything, and he is just nine months, do you think i'm rushing progress?

urselbaker

Asked by urselbaker at 6:57 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ummm, ya....potty training is one thing you don't want to rush...at 9 months old, enjoy the fact that he's still a baby...Im sitting here looking at pics of my DD who is almost 2 1/2 wondering where the time is gone...he'll be going potty before you know it.

If you rush that, they tend to get turned off of it...let him lead and don't be surprised if he's around 3 or sometimes even older. Just enjoy him while you can...it goes by WAY too fast...trust me :) You can teach him whatever you want, just have fun doing it. and don't ever rush anything.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:01 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• 9 months is pretty young to start potty training. Usually that starts around around 18 months. You wont have success in this, until your child is ready. Pushing it to early, may make him afraid, and have a really hard time doing it once it time. I would wait, until you see signs that he is ready...
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 7:08 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• The spinal nerves will not be fully myelinzed until 18-24 months, which means that your child will be unable to control bowel and bladder function before then. Don't even try, you'll only end up delaying the process.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:10 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• You'r answer was very helpful, i love the science self explanatory way that you put it, thanks.
    urselbaker

Comment by urselbaker (original poster) at 7:19 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• boys don't usually pick up toilet training until they are about 2 but you could start with when your changing his diaper telling him what he has done. then maybe sit him on the potty for a little bit.
    shirl16

Answer by shirl16 at 8:30 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I'm not potty training him now, I'm just excited to teach him so much, he show great intellective things already, thank you all
    urselbaker

Comment by urselbaker (original poster) at 9:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2011