What exactly does it mean to be bipolar?

Can it be a day to day thing where yesterday you felt pretty happy, everything was good and then today for no apparent reason everything is awful and depressing and then back o good again the next day and bad again the day after that? Or do the moods last longer than a day or two?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Health

• for my sister it can go from minute to minute..she will be cool, calm asking you a favor..then if she doesnt get her way "fuck you bitch..i didnt need it anyways"..
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:11 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• From what I recall, there is no set time. But the moods aren't just happy and sad. They are manic sadness and extreme happiness! And changing at the drop of a dime.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 7:12 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• yeah, if it was moods changing day to day..then i think we would all be diagnosed bipolar
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:13 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I have BiPolar 2. There are a number of types of BPD. Mood swings like COULD be a sign of a minor BP imbalance, but most times the mood changes aren't that often. I suggest you look for the book Bipolar Disorder for Dummies. It's done wonders for me in helping to understand what's going on and how to handle it. Plus, it's cheaper than years of medication!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:19 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• For me it can change in a matter of minutes. I can start the day out perfectly calm and happy, I can spend the middle part of the day crying, hyperventilating and just being angry, and I can go to bed happy again at the end of it. Sometimes it lasts longer, like a whole week of being down and then I'm up again, and sometimes it's just quick. And of course my moods tend to be manic, too, when they go so quickly from one extreme to the other. I can't control my anger at all..
    It tends to go hand in hand with depression too, which is what I'm dealing with.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 7:22 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Do both moods have to be extreme? Can a person be bipolar and have an extremely low mood but the happy mood isn't really extreme?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:37 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• It doesn't have to be really extreme. But the moods can change fast. My BIL and niece have this. It sometimes goes along witih OCD.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:53 AM on Feb. 13, 2011