What can I tell a friend that is going thru a divorce?

I do not know what is going on between the 2 spouses but I just want to listen to my friend mostly. I have not been through a divorce personally but I know it is devastating to her. No kids but a 20 year marriage. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• Oh, very sad. My sister went through one a few years ago and handled it badly. I would say that she'll mourn the relationship, the way you'd mourn a death (all the emotions will happen and it's normal). Most of all, change takes courage and from something in ruin, there is no place left to go but towards rebirth, renew, a future.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:34 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Wow! I am going through the same thing but I have 2 teens. Let her know you are there for her. Let her know you care. If she wants to bi--h about the same thing over and over let her because getting it out is better than not. Also be patient. When my husband of 20 years walked out the door I was in a fetal for months. It is so hard. I hope this helps.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 7:32 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• My sis and 2 of my friends all went thru divorces, (2 of them were quite long, drawn out and very painful). I said to them "I may not know what you are going thru or what it is like to get divorced (since I am still married) BUT I am here to listen if you want to talk or vent." I did listen to them and let them vent all they wanted (even if they re-hashed the same issue 15X I sat there and let them), and offered a hugs and a shoulder to cry on if they needed it. I understood that it was very hard and painful for them and it would take time to process, put behind them and eventually be able to move on and move forward with their lives.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:58 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• my husband are back and forth. we can't figure out whether to get a divorce or not... I'm personally tired of it and if I didn't have a 4 year old and a 1 year old his would have been long gone. anyways.... my husband left me on my birthday... what an ass i know... i sat in the dark and cried for hours until i had to pick the kids up from school. my best friend came over and literally laid in the bed for hours with my just rubbing my back and telling me how sorry she was and how if i needed anything at all she would help me out. it really meant alot to me to know that i still had her friendship even if i was a single mom of two kids.
    kimperez06

Answer by kimperez06 at 10:21 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• just be there to listen to them. don't judge either or take sides.
    just be there for them to talk & listen
    Granny995

Answer by Granny995 at 3:03 PM on Feb. 13, 2011