Expiration on makeup?

Just wondering if there is a website that you know of or if you know what the expiration is on:
Lipsticks
Blush
Eye Shadow
Eye Liners
Pressed Powders
I have always known that mascaras only are good for about 3 months max but as for the rest, I have no clue but do have some items that I am just not sure how long I should keep holding onto.

miraclewaits

Asked by miraclewaits at 7:22 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I don't remember the exact amount of time you should keep each one, but there is definitely a time limit. I never listen to those and I'm sure I've got some bad makeup lying around... I know, not good. I've thought about marking on each thing when I should throw it out, but I always forget when I buy it!
    I found this, maybe it'll be of some help:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/16173203/MakeUp-Expiration-Guide
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 7:25 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• for make-up i use the smell test, if it smells bad it's probably bad. a lot of make-ups have oil in them that go rancid after awhile. if it's made with mineral oil it's less likely to go bad depending on what else is in it
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:24 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I've always used the expiration date rule of thumb of one year for new/unopened products, and 6 months for opened products. If you find something that you KNOW you haven't used in a while, throw it out! Bacteria can grow, and cause all kinds of reactions on your face--which is not something you want! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:33 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I have Chanel eye shadow I bought in Paris and can't part with but can't wear because I'm afraid to! It's from 2008! I dunno, you don't want to have some odd reaction on your eyes or lips....
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:36 PM on Feb. 12, 2011