8 month old grinding teeth.

My 8 month old son just got one of his upper central incisors, and the other one is coming through right now. He has been using his bottom central incisors to grind his top one to alleviate some of his discomfort. I have been gently pushing his cheeks together when I hear him do it, but he has managed to scrape a bit of enamel off the top tooth so far. I want to prevent him from further damaging his teeth, but I'm not sure how to do it. The cheek push thing only works momentarily, and he won't take teethers or pacifiers, he nurses on demand, but he bites, pretty hard (I've bleed) when he isn't actively nursing.

We cosleep, so I know he isn't doing this during the night at least, I'm a very light sleeper and would undoubtedly hear him. He is also given homeopathic remedies for pain, and if he is super irritable, I will give him conventional pain relief meds (tylenol, etc.), so the grinding is associated more with discomfort than pain.

Any suggestions on getting him to stop?

xrussianbabe02

Asked by xrussianbabe02 at 8:22 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never was able to get either of my babies to stop during their entire teething process.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:36 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• My ds is 17 months old, and he does this too. I haven't noticed any damage to his teeth yet, but it absolutely drives me insane. He's got all his teeth except his last molars on top and bottom. Gonna bump the question, maybe someone else has suggestions.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:46 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• One of mine was a biter. I had been doing the stern no and placing him on the floor than walking away. I thought I was doing it the right way but I wasn't, he keep biting. In tears I called my mom (who nursed 6 kids) she said I needed to do it differently. She said to make sure to do the no walk away thing EVERY time he bites. I sometimes didn't if he was almost asleep. And don't let the baby see your face when you say no and walk away. Your baby is looking at you for reassurance and to see if they can get away with what they did. After the walk away give it a little time then go back and make up. You can even try nursing again. But if baby bites again that's it for that feeding. My little guy had to learn to fall asleep with rocking not nursing. My mom said it would all be better in a couple sessions. He actually took 2 days. But we did it!
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 9:07 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• for the teething pain look into getting him amber teething necklace. They work! Here are 2 companies that sell them. And they both runs sales sometimes(they post the codes to their Facebk pages) http://hyenacart.com/inspiredbyfinn/ and http://www.hazelaid.com/C_Products_Cd_Baltic_Amber.html   The lighter colored the amber the more effective it is.

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 9:11 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Thanks! We actually have a milk and honey necklace from inspired by finn, but moved very recently, and I haven't found it yet.

I've been setting him on the floor when he does it, I've found it's just a phase, they don't realize they're hurting you. It took my twins a couple of months to stop biting, but they never drew blood lol,
    xrussianbabe02

Comment by xrussianbabe02 (original poster) at 9:27 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• its totally normal for kids to grind their teeth...if they're grinders can last until they have lost all their baby teeth. It's awful to listen to but perfectly harmless.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 11:00 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I don't doubt it's normal, but I wouldn't say scraping enamel off is harmless.
    xrussianbabe02

Comment by xrussianbabe02 (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Feb. 14, 2011