What is the result of willful sin?

If we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, but certain fearful looking for of judgement and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. Does this mean if we do so willfully we will not be forgiven and are doomed for fiery hell? Because if it does and you know you won't be forgiven why try?

Dianakk

Asked by Dianakk at 8:42 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Ok 2 days later I finally have an answer! Passages like that often scare me, but I know they can't really mean what they seem to be saying because that contradicts the rest of scripture. Anyway, at my Bible Study group tonight we studied Romans 7 in which Paul talks about how he doesn't do the what wants to do and what he knows is right and still sins even though he doesn't want to. That his mind belongs to Christ but his body is still a slave to sin (this is my paraphrase, I don't have a Bible in front of me right now) So if the Apostle Paul himself admitted to not being able to stop himself from sinning, then we know that God forgives us and doesn't expect us to be perfect (if we are saved!!!) So it was relevant enough that I was able to ask about the Hebrews 10 passage. The answer I got is that it's a matter of heart/attitude. Those who willfully sin are the ones who say "God forgives me therefore I can do whatever I want"
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Yes Jonathan Edwards did speak that ... for the time period, the church needed that message. That message would NOT work in this era. Now it is learning that God is not mad at you. He is a happy God! Know why? He sees the end results of His children and rejoices in that fact everyday! We no longer need to be bound to the religious mindset but a relational mindset. God is a Father that ADORES His children! He loves us so deeply!
    So yes we sin but we do not get thrown in hell for it. We ask for forgiveness and allow His Love cover the multitude of sin and wash us clean! When we grasp the the reality of the Message of the Cross, we will want to sin less!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:23 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• That reminds me of the sermon in the (Glencoe) American Lit book, called "Sinners in the Hands of An Angry God". This preacher (Cant think of the name right now) was ousted from the church for preaching just that sort of thing. Because you got the point exactly, if we're doomed no matter what, then why try to please God right? That's no way to live your life. I believe since we are all children of God, He will forgive us if we ask for His forgiveness. (Just think of your own children- & how many times you've said, "If I have to tell you one more time...!" But we do, we say it a hundred more times- b/c they're our kids & we love them. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:50 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• There is always forgiveness for forgiveable sins. Satan would want you to believe that there is no hope. That's crazy saying that you only have one chance at every sin...as long as your trying to do your best, and even when your not, if you have Godly sorrow, God will forgive you. It's all about learning!
    Anonymous

• Can you give me the reference for this? I would like to look it up and read what is around it. I remember it being preached on once, but I can't remember it very well. I don't think it's something we need to be fearful of. There are other places in scripture that deal with Christians sinning, such as church disapline where a person is excluded from fellowship with the intention of them repenting and coming back. There is the story of the prodigal son, where the son willfully leaves his father and then when he comes back begging to be a slave his father gladly accepts him back as his son.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 8:57 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• "Sinners in the hands of an angry God"- that was Jonathon Edwards, it was a sermon typical of the Great Awakening and he was not ousted from the church. He was respected and many people came to Christ through his powerful sermons. Although you should know, if you've ever heard this sermon shouted at you in a literature class, that Jonathan Edwards was actually a very quiet man and would stand up at the pulpit and calmly read his sermons (according to a trustworthy source, I have not read a biography of him myself)
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:03 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Sorry for going of on this tangent, but from Wikipedia "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" is a typical sermon of the Great Awakening, emphasizing the widely held belief that Hell is a real and functional place. Edwards hoped that the imagery and message of his sermon would awaken his audience to the horrific reality that he argued awaited them should they continue without Christ.[1] The underlying point is that God has given humanity a chance to rectify their sins. Edwards says that it is the will of God that keeps wicked men from the depths of Hell; this act of restraint has given humanity a chance to mend their ways and return to Christ.[2] Jonathan Edwards' sermon continues to be the leading example of a Great Awakening sermon and is still used in religious and academic settings today.

mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:06 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I would think that if someone knew the consequences they would not try it again. Especially if it gave negative results before.
    You don't need a bible to tell you that! It is logic or common sense.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 8:54 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Hebrews 10:26-29 I picked up a free booklet outside the grocery store and this was in it. This is just a question, I didn't mean I was doing it. It did make me set up and listen though. There are so many people in prison's that keep going back and then become Christians. I wondered if they might be doing it in vain. Let me know what you think.
    Dianakk

Comment by Dianakk (original poster) at 9:02 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Thank you mybella81 and don't be sorry, you are educating. lol
    Dianakk

Comment by Dianakk (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Feb. 12, 2011