Picky husband...

My husband eats like a child. Pizza, pasta, breaded chicken, and thats pretty much it. I love to cook, and try to change things up, but he is never really excited about it... He does love casseroles though.. Any ideas using these items?

LovinMyMikayla

Asked by LovinMyMikayla at 6:38 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Food & Drink

• How about a homemade veggie pizza on a whole grain crust? Or maybe whole grain pasta with organic sauce? My husband is a really picky eater too but I find if I just make healthy changes to the stuff he already enjoys it's easier for him to make a change - it's easier for me to get him to eat healthier too when he realizes that food thats good for him can taste good too! I make a casserole using brown rice, a sauce (usually 2 Tbs butter melted, add 2 Tbs flour, make a paste, add 2 cups milk and some chicken bullion, bring to just a boil till thick), and frozen mixed veggies. Mix the cooked rice and veggies with the sauce, top with cheese, bake until the cheese is melted, and yum! It's super inexpensive and everyone in the house loves it!
    mom_of_two84

Answer by mom_of_two84 at 6:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Try a chicken parmesan with grilled chicken instead of breaded.. with whole wheat pasta (I like the Barilla whole wheat stuff, it's subtle). Ooooh and what is really good is a Chile Relleno casserole.. http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,168,151183-237198,00.html...... good luck!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 8:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Oh girls. All good ideas... he says no to wheat pasta and grilled chicken :(. Its seriously like I have a picky child to feed...
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 8:19 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Dose he like BBQ? My little brother (yeah, a picky child) is willing to try combos of things he already knows he likes, such as this one...
    BBQ Chicken Pizza- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken tenders and saute until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat. When chicken is cool enough to handle, dice chicken to yield a little over 1 cup. In a small bowl, toss chicken with 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce. Set aside.
    On a floured surface, roll out dough and place on a greased sheet pan. Shape to fill the sheet pan, about a 15 by 10-inch rectangle. Spread remaining barbecue sauce evenly over pizza dough. Sprinkle Gouda, mozzarella, Parmesan, onions, and chicken over top. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese bubbles. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and cut into pieces

Cris1128

Answer by Cris1128 at 9:13 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• You can make a pizza lasagna or taco lasagna if he'll eat that where you basically layer ingredients just the way you would a lasagna but "aged down" for your husband! lol
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:15 PM on Nov. 17, 2008