Teen Mom

Some say that they are trying to cancel the show because of the negative publicity. They believe that it is a negative influence on children.

Honestly, I think that it should be canceled. I think the original intention was to inform teenagers that it is tough to have a child young but now the cast members are being infamous. ....What are your thoughts?

KitKatCadillac

Asked by KitKatCadillac at 9:41 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Entertainment

• I use it to actually show my kids and them being such screw up as a teaching tool... and how to make better decisions!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 9:43 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• lol I love that show actually but hey I'm still immature just not like that! maybe it makes me feel better about myself haha
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 9:44 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• i agree, the original intention was to inform teens about the hardships of being a teen parent but; these teen moms make some hefty paychecks and that might send the wrong message to some impressionable kids. it is up to parents to speak to their kids and hopefully the kids don't look up to the kids on that show as role models.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 9:46 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• There are ALOT of teens getting pregnant now. It just seems like its the thing to do. Why is it teen girls want to get pregnant early in life? What happen to college and get a career for theirselves? What happened to grow and depend on their selves?
    It has nothing to do with Teen Mom show it has to do with the teen in what they want in life.
    bmwlover

Answer by bmwlover at 9:46 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I would be so sad if they canceled it, I love Teen Mom... and Secret Life of the American Teenager doesn't come back till March, so if they cancel it there goes my Tuesday nights... I'll be very very sad.
    I honestly don't see why the show is "bad". If you don't want your (in general, not specifically anyone here) teen watching it then turn off the tv or block it. But I don't see why the rest of us who watch it have to have it canceled because parents don't know how to talk to their kids about pregnancy. Just my opinion.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:47 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• My daughter follows the show, and I did watch a few episodes with her. I was impressed with her compassion for the girls as she explained each if their situations to me. Although I didn't care for it much, I do think it showed her how hard it is to be a teenage mom.
    bekej

Answer by bekej at 9:49 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Teen pregnancy rates are actually down right now. There was a recent article on The Stir about it.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 9:50 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• True. But it has become this "thing" to do. Like it's a trend. ....it's kinda sad. And no, we can't just blame the problem on one thing. It is a lot of different things. It makes me sad to watch this show. I really hope there aren't teen girls out there who take them as their role models.
    KitKatCadillac

Comment by KitKatCadillac (original poster) at 9:50 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• "The United States has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the industrialized world. The Center for Disease control says that one-third of girls get pregnant before the age of 20. Teenpregnancy.org, a site managed by the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, states that there are '750,000 teen pregnancies annually. Eight in ten of these pregnancies are unintended and 81 percent are to unmarried teens."'

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/12504-teen-pregnancy-rates-usa/#ixzz1DntL9Sbs
    KitKatCadillac

Comment by KitKatCadillac (original poster) at 9:53 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• "Teen pregnancy rates are actually down right now. There was a recent article on The Stir about it."

no, that information is wrong. pregnancy rates are down, but teen pregnancies are up. The Stir is NOT written by professionals, but bored housewives, like us. They OFTEN get their information WRONG, so they are not a good source.

And the show has had both positive (parents watching with their kids, opening up discussions) and negative, as they have interviewed several girls who are trying to get pregnant and get on the show so they can get rich and "famous" like the girls on the show.

Maybe the show would have worked better if all money given would have been put into a trust account FOR the kids only, to be overseen by a third party to make sure it's not abused(the money, as in spent on boob jobs for the mom instead of a college fund).
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 9:58 PM on Feb. 12, 2011