If your 5 year old really believes in Santa...

...what would you do if your 10 yo neighbor told him that "Santa is dead"? Does it warrant a note to his parents, a talk to him face to face? what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would definitely keep my child from that kid and if you know the parents mention it to them. Kids are only young for so long. Now what you need to do is tell him that is NOT the truth and leave evidence on Christmas Morning that Santa has come. I take a piece of red velvet and rip a piece then hang it on the fireplace (or stick it in the door jam if you don't have a f.p.). I also take a piece of cardboard and trace my DH's workboot the cut it out and sprinkle baking powder in the to make foot prints. Do a Google for more ideas, if anything you will put a question into his/her head regarding the evidence. Make it good this might be your last. Best of luck and Merry Christmas.
    busybee68

Answer by busybee68 at 6:49 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My oldest turns 12 today and she still believes in Santa. We have had this happen too, and I told her the following: "What happens to naughty little boys and girls?" Her answer: "They get a stick and a coal in their stocking for Christmas".To which I responded "Well, I bet that little boy (or girl) wasn't real good last year, huh?" This keeps Santa alive and well and encourages them to be good!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 7:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Doesn't warrant a thing. The bigger deal you make about it, the less your kid is going to trust you over that kid. You wouldn't throw water on a fake fire. Keep it simple. So and so is wrong. How sad for him that he doesn't have anything to believe in and has to go around making others feel bad.

There will be many kids who remind your kid that belief is a choice. Ultimately the choice to believe lies in your kid. So long as they are in a place where they *want* to believe in Santa, they will. Once they don't you wont be able to make them believe if you were able to produce reindeer poo in bootprints on your carpet.

Punishing those who remind others that belief is a choice is to live in a very fragile world.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 9:20 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I wouldn't respond to this child at all, I would just try to talk to your son about how he is mistaken or was lying. Many children/adults will tell your child in the course of his life that santa doesn't exist, we've managed to keep all of our children believing in santa! Mainly through getting them excited and leaving little pieces of evidence out, also taking them to see santa each year, and telling them that it is just santa's helpers who dress up and give presents to all the children!
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 1:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• *course of his childhood.
    haleykarson

• i agree...

Babylove76
    My oldest turns 12 today and she still believes in Santa. We have had this happen too, and I told her the following: "What happens to naughty little boys and girls?" Her answer: "They get a stick and a coal in their stocking for Christmas".To which I responded "Well, I bet that little boy (or girl) wasn't real good last year, huh?" This keeps Santa alive and well and encourages them to be good!
    Julia0331

Answer by Julia0331 at 3:02 PM on Nov. 18, 2008