Can I be sued?

The weather where I am has been bitterly cold and the gutter/spouts have frozen. I started to warm up and the snow on the roof is melting making the water come over the gutters and pool on the side of the house. The weather was above freezing but someone fell on this ice, can the sue? I put down salt the night before and when I went outside earlier in the day it did not appear to be frozen so it must have been black ice. The person stated their hand was hurting from bracing their fall, I do not think they were seriously injured maybe just bruised.

Additional info:

Yes I am the homeowner, it was a delivery person.  I did not see it happen was just told by the person, it was a thin patch of ice that appeared to be water.  Will homeowners cover medical expenses?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

• Are you the owner of the home?
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 10:04 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• who is it and why were they next to your house?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Anytime a person is hurt on your property... whetherpreventable, or they do it on purpose, you can be sued...

~*Hugs*~... hope all works out for the better?!?! Hope they don't sue...
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:05 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• info updated above
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:09 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• They can sue; check your homeowners policy for what it covers. (Mine covers medical up to a certain amount, I'd guess that most do.)

For what it's worth, salt doesn't work if the temperature is below freezing, we use calcium chloride. (I didn't know this until a friend that works for the road service told me.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:10 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• If he is a delivery man, he will probably file for workmans comp if he is hurt. Usually they will take care of it without suing you
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 10:11 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• As a homeowner you can be sued, but hopefully he'll settle with your homeowners insurance for injuries he incurred. GL
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 10:15 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• @Scuba, where do you get calcium chloride? I didn't know about the salt.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 10:17 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Yeah if he was at work then he was hurt on the job. I work in delivery and our companys insurance covers us if we are hurt on someone elses property. Now if it were your dog or something then a personal suit could be filed. Being it was just a slip and fall they will probably file WC. But to be on the safe side call a lawyer and consult with them to see what your rights are.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 10:22 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Homeowners should cover medical after the deductible, but you'll want to check your policy to make sure.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:29 PM on Feb. 12, 2011