Question about WIC

I've never been on it so I don't know how they operate.
If a baby comes in for their check-up and has fallen drastically off the growth chart in 6 month's time,say from the 50th percentile to the 5th,do they give the mom a grace period to get the baby's weight up,or do they inform CPS that something may be up?
This mom had her older child removed from her home because she wasn't feeding him and he gained no weight as an infant.
Do you think they'd take her past issue with the other child to mean that she shouldn't necessarily get a chance to have history repeat itself?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 10:10 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The people who do the tests and weight at WIC are usually RNs or Registered Diaticians and so they are bound by the same healthcare law as Drs are. If they think a person is being neglectful to their child and not feeding them, I'm sure they would have to report it. If the parent is feeding the child and seems like a great parent, I'm sure they wouldnt call CPS but make sure the parent brings their baby to the doctor to see what could be the cause of slow growth.
    tmpmom1116

Answer by tmpmom1116 at 3:29 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I agree WIC's job is to provide a food service, make some dots on a chart, and send the people on their way. They do often preach about things they know nothing about. If the Dr is concerned then the Dr has a legal responsibility to report malnourishment. If you are concerned about malnourishment then you can make an anonymous call to CPS just to give them a heads up. If WIC has a concern they have every legal right to also make a call about malnourishment, but a phone call is the most legal action they can take. Anyone can call CPS if they feel a child is in danger, some people overuse this and some don't use it when they should. But WIC's job is to provide a service, not cast judgement.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:43 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• ! wow. I would assume that they would defiantly inform the right people, its their job. Bad moms do not get grace periods...
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 10:14 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Children who are not fed appropriately are a concern to the health dept, doctors, and yes CPS. A drop like that for any child should be investigated. Yes the children should be taken into custody at least until mom can be taught proper caregiving. Having ur kids in state custody isn't great but most families are put back together. I'm a foster parent. If mom will ask for help cps will help her. If mom doesn't ask for help out of fear and then cps does step in it's a different ball game. ASK FOR HELP
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 10:57 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• It depends on the history I think. My youngest child was born at 8lb1oz which is is around the 60th percentile. At six months he was only 14lbs which is in the 3rd percentile. Our Wic lady did make a comment about it, but she had been our lady for 2 years and knows us. And knows we feed our kids and that they are healthy and happy. So she didn't do anything about it. He was only 17lbs at a year, he is just a little peanut, he is short too. So his body is proportional.

But since your cousin has other issues and previous issues with her children being taken away because she starves them, then Wic should be reporting it to CPS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I certainly hope they would.
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 10:27 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• matthewscandi- theres a big difference between a healthy underweight child and a infant that doesn't gain any weight because its own mother doesnt feed them.
    50th percentile to the 5th in a 6 months time frame is quite a lot... WIC is more then capable to inform social services.
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 10:40 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Her baby has only gained 2 lbs in 4 months

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 10:11 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I think that would be the doctors job to inform social services. WIC just looks at a chart and puts marks on it. They are ill informed on just about everything they are preaching. My older daughter gained 11 pounds the first year of her life my second daughter gained 4 pound the first 7 months. I didn't use WIC with them, their pediatrician said they were fine and now they are very active and healthy 5 and 6 y/o girls.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:26 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• my so didnt gained any weight from the time he was 6 mts to 12 mts. he went from the 50% to the 5 % and then he went back to 10% and then back to the 5%. he turns 2 feb 28 and just reach 23lbs. i was on wic for the first year of hils life and they where never worried neither was his doctor.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:26 PM on Feb. 14, 2011