Why do you think someone would choose to be gay?

I posted this as an answer to another question but decided I cared enough about the answer to create my own thread.

For those of you who think it's a choice to be gay, WHY? Really, why would ANYONE choose to be gay? Someone who is gay faces prejudice, hate, and persecution every single day of their lives. They take a risk every time they flirt with someone they are attracted to. They take a risk every single time they tell someone about their sexual orientation. They risk losing the love and support of their families, they risk their jobs. Choosing to be gay means choosing to never be allowed to marry the person you love. You risk not being able to have a child. Being gay means risking not being at the bedside of your loved one in the hospital because you are "not family". It means a lifetime of risk and prejudice.

If you think it's a choice, I would love to know - why do you think anyone would CHOOSE to live this way?

bluecrayon

Asked by bluecrayon at 6:42 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • I dont think anyone choses to be gay. Its something I beleive you are born with. Who really wakes up in the morning and says " I think I want to be gay". My aunt is gay and she was showing signs at 8yo. WAY before puberty. She was NEVER attracted to men. If ppl chose it its prob just either a phase or just experimental
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• No, one chooses to be gay. The people who think that it is a choice are ignorant about sexuality.

Cindrella72

Answer by Cindrella72 at 6:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• IF you are married you know for one that guys especially wouldnt just decide that. I know my bf wouldnt it! lol
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Why would God- Who in His book says marriage is between a man and a woman, and not to lust after their own kind- Make someone gay? I don't think he would, therefore, it's a choice. Some people would just rather not deal with the opposite sex because men understand men and women understand women.
    Anonymous

• It's a perversion...it's lustful....some people just want it like that...reguardless of the reprocussions. Satan has tricked these people into thinking it's ok and that they were born with it.

To each his own. I don't hate gays, we have family that's gay and we all get along great! But I don't agree with the lifestyle.
    Anonymous

• yup its a choice and the devil gets in peoples heads and makes them think gay is the the right way when its wrong in God's eyes all we can do is pray for them.
    Anonymous

• They don't! You are born gay or straight... I'm sure that there are a few out there that chose it but most do not... You are just born that way...

To Anon: Why would "god" that says killing is wrong make someone a homicidal maniac?? Hmm??

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:52 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• God gave all of us free will...we make our own choices. He doesn't make any of us killers...we do. He doesn't make any of us gay...we do.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• But seriously, look at the situation! It's easy to say "well it's free will" but look at the actual choice. Does it actually make ANY Sense to you at all that people would choose to be treated like scum on a daily basis? Seriously? I can't even wrap my head around that and am truly amazed that people can just brush off a very valid question - WHY would anyone CHOOSE to live with the hatred and prejudice - with "well it's free will". That answer just plain doesn't make sense when that so-called choice means a lifetime of being treated as a second-class citizen who doesn't even deserve to be able to get married. It does NOT make sense.
    bluecrayon

Answer by bluecrayon at 6:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• People make choices that don't make sense to others all the time.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2008