Does marriage counseling really help??

Has anyne gone to marriage counseling? Does it help your marriage for the better or is it like a clear yes or no on whether or not to get divorced??? HELP!!!!

kimperez06

Asked by kimperez06 at 10:36 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• Yes, it can help. It depends on the counselor and the people in the marriage....Both of you have to have the goal of staying together, and be honest...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:38 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• We both wanted our marriage to work, so we took what the lady taught us and applied it to our everyday life. It helped fix our marriage, and that was 5 years ago. They aren't going to tell you to get a divorce. They are there to help you solve your problems, open lines of communication, etc. and what you get out of it is up to you.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 10:41 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• yes but;; both parties must want the same out come and both parties should be willing to put in the work too.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 10:43 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I've never been so I can't speak from experience, but I do believe that communicating with your partner is the best way to make a marriage work. I think sometimes couples just need a little help understading each other and that's something they try and help you with at marriage counsuling so yes I believe that it can help
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 10:48 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• ~*YES*~... if both truly want to make things work, it will work, but let go of "being right" and thing "right now" to start, open/honest communication, and the therapist knows what they are doing
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:49 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• It can help. I really think it depends on teh people and the situation. My dh and I went to marriage counseling about seven years ago- it helped us a lot. I don't think we would still be together if we hadn't made some changes, and marriage counseling helped us to understand what changes we needed to make.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:53 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• Me and my husband have been to counseling and it was amazing how much it helped. Its true what the other post said that it depends on who you go to. You want to be able to open up to the person, maybe even just you going at first. Basically put, it can't hurt and its so worth the try before its too late and there is no more love in the relationship!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 11:43 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I went to one with my ex husband and the best thing and true thing I heard from our counseling was that when a couple comes to counseling it can go two ways depending on the people he has in front of him.

1. They both come with an open and honest want to fix things and make it work. They then have a good chance of moving forward and making the marriage work.

Or.

2. One of the two already has their mind made up and is going through the motions to show they tried, when in reality they havent really tried. They just want people to think they have, that way when they leave the marriage they can say they did what they could to save it.

So as long as BOTH parties of the marriage truly want to move past the problems and make it work then it can work. Otherwise, its already over.

Answer by gemgem at 10:12 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Only if you both want to work things out
    Granny995

Answer by Granny995 at 2:48 PM on Feb. 13, 2011