How detrimental are dental injuries in a toddler for future development?

My 3-yr-old is so clumsy and he is always damaging his mouth. He is a little daredevil and when we are not looking he is always jumping off of the couch, jumping on the bed, climbing his nightstand, running and not watching where he is going, etc. He has scarred his mouth both inside and out and I've always been told that the inside of the mouth has to heal itself. Is it true doctors can't do anything for him? All the other times he got hurt they told us there is nothing they can do.

The story on tonight was that he was climbing from his bed onto his nightstand when he was supposed to be asleep. He screamed and we ran in and there was blood all over his face. We found the source and were horrified. Apparently, he caught his mouth on the nightstand and it literally just scraped the gums clean off the top front tooth and up. The gums are still there above the one tooth, but just pushed upward. There are also a couple of cuts and scrapes on his lips but nothing more major than the tooth. His tooth next to the hurt gums is also pushed back a bit so it looks like he has buck teeth. It also seems like he might have the front tooth a little loose. How do you think this will effect his adult teeth and how they will grow in? What happens if his front tooth falls out this young in life? So many questions...I just don't want him to have messed up teeth forever.

Thanks,

Jeannie

Jeannie721

Asked by Jeannie721 at 11:03 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• His mouth will heal BUT he can start getting permanent teeth about 5 and then it's a different ballgame. I'd advise you seriously curb this daredevil behavior before he starts doing permanent damage. Loose teeth normally tighten back up and if he knocks one out it's not the end of the world. Like I said...curb the wildman. I worked in dentistry for 12 years and saw lots of kids who fell and busted their mouth lots of ways. .
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 11:17 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I would have him looked at by a dentist just incase. Better safe than sorry, especially because he pushed him gums up and a tooth is loose. If any of his teeth have pushed up or turned, I would have them looked at.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:30 AM on Feb. 13, 2011