Question about career

My husband has a year left of college for a Bachelor in Physics. He really wanted to do engineering but the college only offered physics. His dream job just changed the requirements of the job he wants so that you have to have a engineering degree--physics wont work. He is freaking out and wants to quit college. He has never had weekends off since he has been working such weird jobs due to school. We are both really sick of it and I am almost relieved that he is wanting to do something else since we are so broke right now and never get to spend time as a family. Our kids are 3 and 4 months and I dont want him to miss out. My biggest question is what kind of job can he get that you do not have to have a degree for but that pays decent (35k a year and over)

thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Feb. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

• http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/239079/top_paying_jobs_without_a_college_degree_pg3.html?cat=4 Here is a website I fiound. I don't know if it will point you in the right direction, but maybe it can give you some ideas.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I don't know where you live but my husband is a lumber broker. He makes real good money but winters are slow for obvious reasons. He's been doing this for over 20 years. No degree.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:26 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• First, if he's really stressed, spread out the load. No one says you must finish the degree in 1 year, 2 years or 4 years (esp when he's working weird jobs on top of going to school). Secondly, to the first point, that's something he needs to convey to the potential employer that how hard working he is. it's his job to sell himself. Thirdly, when he goes on an interview, he needs to state "currently pursuing B.S. in whatever"...that sounds much better than "does not have a B.S. degree". Lastly, with all that said, he can try to apply for a job in his field with "currently pursuing". The chance is not big, but it's worth the try. Another field I know generally need people is the Acounting field (i.e. Big-4 accounting firms such KPMG, Deloitte, E&Y and PwC, or reginional/local firms). People are always looking for accountants to do accounting/tax returns. I think interns get paid like $10 an hour (15 yrs ago).
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 11:39 PM on Feb. 12, 2011

• I would recommend that he definitely finish the degree, even if it's not the specific job he wants. Then, once he has the degree, try to find a job. While he's working, try taking a class here and there to finish up an engineering degree. Chances are most of the classes are the same, so it's not like he's starting over.
    I think he'll regret if he doesn't finish with only a year left.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 8:58 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• He should start with the career counseling office at the University, and his academic advisor. He can change his major, and spend the next year and a half taking engineering classes.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:29 PM on Feb. 13, 2011