What do I do for my 4yr old son?

He is coughing badly non stop, even an hour after taking cough medicine!! Poor little guy can't fall asleep!!

lilcutiepie2578

Asked by lilcutiepie2578 at 12:33 AM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Prop his head up some and use a humidifier in his room
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 12:34 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Vicks vapor rub? OR perhaps a breathing treatment?
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 12:34 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I read in Parenting Magazine awhile ago that honey is supposed to help with a cough. Maybe try giving him some of that? Are you running a humidifier? If you don't have one, I would invest in one. They help keep the airways and nasal passages moist in the dry winter air. I would also try propping him up with a pillow. See if any of that helps. Poor guy! :(
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:36 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• My son started coughing during the day but it wasn't really bad but night time it had quickly progressed into this non stop horrible cough that was making him throw up and he couldn't sleep. It worried me so I took him to the ER at like 2 in the morning and they gave him a breathing treatment and the cough subsided almost instantly. I don't remember what it's called but if you can see the skin between your sons ribs sink in when he breathes and coughs then you need to take him to the ER immediatly because it's really serious. From what I can remember they sent my son home with medicine and it helped a lot. He is three. I don't really know anything else you could do for him :( coughs are hard to get rid of
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 12:39 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• You could take him in the bathroom and sit in there with the shower on hot. The steam could help.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:40 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Thank you all for your help! I do have a humidifier in his room, may be a good idea to invest in a nebulizer! Poor thing I felt so bad for him!! It seems he may have fallen asleep now, haven't heard him cough in the last 5 or 10 minutes!! Thanks again for your ideas ladies :)
    lilcutiepie2578

Comment by lilcutiepie2578 (original poster) at 12:44 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• warm bath, rub vicks in chest, keep him with medicines, observe for 4 days or got to go to theraphy breath. or doctor. be patient.
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 7:10 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Vicks vapor rub on the bottoms of the feet and cover with socks. It helps a lot. I even use it on myself. Also a drink of ice water often helps with my little one. My mom used to give me honey and lemon.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:33 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Had the same problem with DD last night. She finally fell asleep after DH rubbed her head & face - sounds weird, but is so relaxing, and she was out, didn't wake up coughing til 8 this morning.
    Anonymous

• call your pediatrician and see what they recommend
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:09 AM on Feb. 15, 2011