Just need to get this off of my chest..

Thanks in advance for reading and input. I'd prefer no judging. I'm soo tired of it. My husband does it all day, every day.

So I cleaned the house. I mean, EVERYTHING. I go to my brother's sheep show and then to my parents' house for a while to get away from the house. I come home and my step-son is asleep on the couch. All of the lights are on in the house.. LITERALLY ALL OF THEM! There is trash all over the living room floor. There were bits of food all over the floor as well as the bar and smudges.. And apparently I now have muddy clothes to clean.. I went in the bathroom and there was mud smudged everywhere as well as handprints. Not only that, my SS left his shoes in the bathroom.. Big pet peeve about leaving things where they shouldn't be and not cleaning up after yourself.. He was sitting on his butt playing stupid DDO.. And the point to my rant, teach your child to clean up after himself, or at least do it yourself.. So I don't have to clean it up. Especially after I've already cleaned everything once this week.

febmom007

Asked by febmom007 at 12:44 AM on Feb. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• Join the club. I go through my house and clean it 3 times a day and its srill alwaya a pigsty.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 12:49 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I hear you on this one trust me. It's not asking much to get things put back where they belong unless you live at my place. My husband no matter how many times I've asked still doesn't put his shoes in the cubby that we bought specifically for that purpose alone, so everyday I just put them away. My son has ADHD/Aspergers and until his meds kick in can't follow a simple 2 step direction (think Tasmanian devil folks) or get himself dressed in the morning without my help on the follow through. I've learned it's just easier to get the job done myself instead of asking for more trouble. It makes it hard for him to plan how he does things in a sequence of events, so I don't ask him to do much in the way of chores, but if he makes a mess I'm right there to tell him and make him clean up after himself. Self reliance is a dream of mine for all in my household...I'm hoping it comes true someday!
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 12:51 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• If he has muddy shoes, he should take them off and leave them outside. I would make him clean it up and stand over him until he got it right. I have to get onto my son to clean up after himself, I know how you feel.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:51 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• i dont have kids yet. Just a boyfriend, and a room mate. Neither of them contribute to cleaning, but boy do they contribute to the mess making. Grrr...
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 12:51 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• HE would be cleaning up ALL the messes or he would be loosing some priveleges and video game systems.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:54 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• that's what I keep telling my husband, and he thinks it so horrible that I make him clean up after himself.. I think a five year old should be able to clean up after himself. especially when he doesn't have any disabilities. doesn't matter though. he never does anything right no matter how much I tell him to clean. I always end up cleaning it anyway.. because I get so tired of nothing getting done, and it just starts all over again. you would think I would just be used to it by now.. it's always nice to vent.
    febmom007

Comment by febmom007 (original poster) at 12:56 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• taking things away doesn't work. he just gets it back in an hour or so and messes up something else.
    what's even worse is my husband lets his son play with broken toys and draw all over everything.
    febmom007

Comment by febmom007 (original poster) at 12:58 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I know how this feels! This week we had my fiance's sisters over ones 12 and the other 18. I have never in my life delt with more frustration i would clean a room from top to bottem..as much as to get on my hands and knees with paper towels to get all the dirt and nasty stuff! And within an hour one of the girls would be in that room making a mess! The mud must have been aweful! I came home to candle wax melted all over my fridge, kitchen table, and counters this week..wasnt thrilled about that one! Lets just face it..the only way to get it done right is to do it yourself!
    Csimoes23

Answer by Csimoes23 at 1:08 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Just telling a young child to "clean" may not be specific enough. "Cleaning" is a daunting task, as you well know. You may need to break it down into more specific steps and even assist him in his execution of those tasks until he learns. You may try telling him such things as: Lights on in rooms where no one is wastes electricity and money, so there will be less to buy you toys with. I see muddy shoes that made a mess and aren't where you know they belong ... I'll show you how to clean it up. Trash does not belong on the floor it belong in the trash can, please pick up your food bits.

I would definitely pull a "no play until the work is done" rule.

If my almost 3 year old can help pick up after himself, a 5 year old should be able to with your guidance.

I hope you feel better after getting that off your chest!

Oh, and I don't pick up after my husband, other than moving stuff out of the way. I'm not his mom.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 1:24 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I definitely yell at my husband when he doesn't clean. He does NOT understand the concept of clean as you go, though he has been getting a little better. I finally got him to realize if he didn't want me yelling about his crap being all over, then he would have to clean it right away. He really hates being yelled at. My son on the other hand, will clean before we get to it. He'll see a mess and start singing "clean up, clean up, everybody clean up" from Dora, and start putting things away. I think he learned that from his daycare initially, but we've taken full advantage of the teaching, and every time he cleans we get right in, help him clean, and help him sing the clean up song. :)
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 1:39 AM on Feb. 13, 2011