What age were your kids when you weaned them to a toddler bed?

Just wondering because my son will turn a year old in a week. I am not going to wean him yet because I know he is too young, but I was just wondering what others did, how you did it, and when. Thanks!

CalebsMommy0220

Asked by CalebsMommy0220 at 12:54 AM on Feb. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• I never used a toddler bed I went straight froma crib to a twin bed. With my oldest he was 18 months old. I was having a second child and the baby was due 2 days before my DS 2nd birthday. So to give him time to adjust we moved him at 18 months. We went shopping and let him pick out what he wanted for sheets and a comforter. Then we painted the room and set it all up. We did put the bed against the wall and had a bed rail for the other side. He did great and loved it. We moved my middle child at 18 months because he was flipping out of the crib and we did the same thing with him.

With my youngest she went into a bed at around 2 years.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:57 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• My kids never tried to climb out of their cribs so I didn't actually move them to a bed (I never did toddler beds but I did queen size beds that they still have now as teenagers) until they were 3.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• we have outr oldest his new CARS toddler bed when we brought our youngetst home from the hospital.. he was 16months old at the time.. and our youngest was almost the same age.. a few months younger
    momaholly

Answer by momaholly at 12:12 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I usually put them in a toddler bed when they started walking. DD1 was one and dd2 was 17 months.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 12:58 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I started when my son was trying to climb in and out of his crib. He was 16 months old. I figured it was more dangerous to have him try and climb out and fall, rather than occassionally fall out of his toddler bed. At least he had a shorter distance to fall. I also made sure he could climb in and out safely, so even if he did fall out, he could get back in. One way to "test" is to see if they can climb on and off the first step if you have stairs. The distance for us, anyway, was about the same.

Good luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 1:02 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• 1 1/2 years old, but I wish I would have waited until she was 2 yrs old, it took her quite a while to get used to not being in her crib and would constantly get out of the bed and get in bed with me and hubby. When she was in her crib she never tried to climb out of it and would stay put. I started a bad habit of letting her stay in bed with us cause I would be so tired, that I also had to break. She was a little scared of the freedom I think (if that makes any sense).
    rjroberts

Answer by rjroberts at 1:02 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• 2.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:04 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• 9 months, a year and a half and about 1 for our youngest little one.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:13 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Usually around 18 months from my experience with 2 kids. Both of my kids started trying to climb out of the crib at this age by putting one leg over the rail. This is really dangerous. Make sure the baby's mattress is on the lowest height possible.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:30 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• He was 2
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:46 AM on Feb. 13, 2011