How long did you bf?

My 16 mo old is still breastfeeding and he bites so hard when he's done. I can't seem to time when he's done to prevent it.
Any suggestions? I plan to bf until he weans himself, but it is getting super painful.

momma922

Asked by momma922 at 12:58 AM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• LLL says "don't offer don't refuse." That's the begging steps to weaning. I breastfed DD1 until she was two and 2 months old. and DD2 until she was 15 months old. Until then when you think he is done try to get him to play with a toy before he bite. Good luck!
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 1:02 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I wish I had advice to share but my children are all lactose intolerant and couldnt bf. I tried with each one but it didnt last longer than 1 month. That was very dissappointing.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 1:03 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Mine stopped when they were a little over 2 years old. That was enough for me. They went through phases where they would bite.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:09 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Thank you, ladies! I appreciate the advice.
    momma922

Comment by momma922 (original poster) at 1:12 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Okay, I have a solution that helped for me, but didn't completely stop the biting. My son is still nursing and we plan to stop him when he hits 2 (next month). He's been a biter since about 5 months. In the beginning he would put his finger in my mouth. I had no idea this was related to him breast feeding, and I'd kind of nibble it. One day (several months later) I finally realized he was using his finger to find out how hard he could bite. Mind you, I hadn't been biting my son, but I also had not been sucking. So I took his finger, put it in my mouth, and sucked it softly one day while he was nursing. He looked at me funny, and immediately started sucking more softly.

I hope that works for you. Good luck.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 1:30 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• When DS would bite, I would take him off and set him down immediately. I would tell him NO firmly, and then not pay attention to him. He didn't bite often when I was consistent. We weaned around 18 1/2 months. He was down to once a day or less at that point.
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:44 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I had to wean my daughter off once I found out I was pregnant again, my doctor said it would be best. But she didn't want to, she stopped at 13 1/2 months. I was so sad. But glad that I nursed that long. I also expressed a little milk into her cereal and milk in her sippy cup until she was 15 16 1/2 months for nutrition and so she wouldn't get sick much. But I thank to nurse up to 2 to 2 1/2 yrs is wonderful! Many women in other cultures do it up to like 3 or 4. But for me 2 1/2 is good. :)

By the way the biting though I would think, is a sign of weaning. My daughter did that when she was 11 months and ouch! That hurt.
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 2:14 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• 16 months and counting. Biting is not a sign of weaning sometimes teething makes their mouth sore and they don't mean to hurt you. An actively suckling baby cannot bite because their tongue covers their bottom teeth. Bad manners means end of session. Non serious suckling that is painful playing also means end of session (a minute or two). They do get it but you must be consistent.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I breastfed two of them for about six weeks until I had to return to work. The third one I bf until she bit me and that was the end of it. She was 2

Answer by admckenzie at 5:59 PM on Feb. 13, 2011