Spin Off... should sex ever be shameful?

There's a question in P and CE about "slut shaming." A term I hadn't heard before today. I'll post a link to it in a minute, but it has to do with why women bear the brunt of social embarrassment during an abortion situation, and that they shouldn't feel ashamed of being sexual.

Is it ever appropriate to be ashamed of sex? Going to go with religious debate with this one, I think.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 1:06 AM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Religious Debate

• There are alot of different scenarios with this. Between 2 loving, commited people, no. If your in a situation where you're forced into it, or such as the young lady vidieotaping her and her “boyfriend” and sending it via phone, then yes, you should be ashamed.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:12 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Am going to go and visit the question.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:13 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I had never heard the term before either. I think some people should be ashamed of things they do. I mean, I don't look at sex as something that should be shared and shared and shared like many young people do today. I have never believed in the idea that you have to have sex with numerous people to know someone is right for you. If someone is right for you, the sex should come along with that!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 1:20 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Wow, that's interesting. I particulary like the one where the poster said if women were sluts, men were dogs, not word for word but she's right. I personally don't like the word slut but there are some women who do feel multiple partners are better. Maybe the rolls are changing, now women are taking control and the men are being used.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:29 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• That depends,  if you're into incest, pedophilia, bestiality or necrophilia then yes.   If all parties involved are unrelated consenting adults, then no.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:59 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I think a women should be ashamed if she's having sex with someone other than her s/o.
    virgo550

Answer by virgo550 at 8:44 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• you shouldn't be ashamed of sex (unless your into that sort of thing)
    You should be ashamed if you are irresponsible enough to have sex without protection when you know your not ready for the full time commitment of a child. Abortion should not be used as birth control. Obviously there are different situations like rape, but then thats def not your fault.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:25 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I don't see sex as ever being shameful, unless you know what you are doing is wrong.

Answer by older at 9:38 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I don't think there should be shame as long as it is with consenting adults.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:54 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I think the problem with that OP is she's pretending people are arguing something they never had to try to shame THEM into taking her side of the argument. There is nothing about the abortion debate that paints the sex as shameful, only the abortion. And if the abortion is being used for birth control, rightly so.

The only time sex should be shameful is if someone is the aggressor against another who does not want it. And if it is done by force, the victim of all people should not be shameful. That's a completely different issue from the abortion debate, which isn't about sex - as we are constantly reminded any time a man tries to put his 2 cents in on the issue - nothing to do with him, therefore it cannot be about the sex part. It's about what a woman chooses to do with the child in her uterus.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:04 AM on Feb. 13, 2011