New Puppy

We just got a new puppy from the Humane Society yesterday. Well, tonight I just noticed that her little nose is runny. Does this mean she is sick? Or could it mean she has allergies, because she has been outside a lot today (potty training). What are other things to look for if she is getting sick?

mom2twingirl797

Asked by mom2twingirl797 at 1:16 AM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Pets

• Always take a new puppy into the vet after you get them.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:20 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Depends-- is it just watery or actually runny with a mucousy discharge? if its the latter-- have her checked by the vet. If the former, then nothing to worry about.

I highly recommend you get The Doctors Book of Home Remedies for Dogs and Cats: Over 1,000 Solutions to Your Pet's Problems - From Top Vets, Trainers, Breeders, and Other Animal Experts-- its' a paperback book that give you the most common problems faced by pet owners and what you can do, and when you need to get puppy to the vet. Mine is nearly worn out from all the times I've flipped through that book-- from getting skunk spray out to dealing with skin allergies.

I agree with above poster-- always take new pets to the vet for an independent health check. I got a kitten from the humane society and found out she had ringworm-- a highly contagious fungal infection-- and a case of coccidia. Thank goodness I had her checked out!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 1:31 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• She would be lethargic, appetite down, less energy, some symptoms of illness. Dog temperature is higher, so feeling for warmth is not very helpful, unless she is burning up, or unless you take her temperature. And, if she is new to you, you might not be aware what her normal levels are quite yet. I agree, you usually have a grace period of up to a week to get her checked at the vet and should take her in.

Usually puppy colds come with some coughing and the discharge from the nose is greenish, thicker and rather gross. It is hard to say what is making her nose run. It might be as simple as being out in cold air. Puppy colds are often a little more serious than dog colds too, so just have the vet take a look at her tomorrow and you will be in good shape.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:33 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I woulld take puppy to the vet and have her checked out for your and othe rpets sake and children as well. You never know what a runny nose can mean. Sometimes things snowball.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 1:43 PM on Feb. 13, 2011