How can i get my daughter to stop putting her fingers down her throat???

My daughter is 9 months going to be 10 months on the 21st. Shes a great daughter uts just lately she has this thing about sticking her whole hand down her throat and gag herself. I keep thinking shes choking but then she and laps or does it over and over again, and now it to the point that she will throw up. I dont know what to do ive told her no tried to distract her clap really loud so the sound scares her ive even trued to "ignore" her (pretended that i wasnt wathing her but i was jus didnt let her see me). Has anyone else gone threw this before and if so what got ur child to stop.Please help.

Yokoshima

Asked by Yokoshima at 1:53 AM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Both of my kids did that as babies and I've known several other babies to do it. It's normal. There's nothing you can really do to stop it either than giving baby a teething ring or something else appropriate to chomp on. Baby is doing it because she is learning cause and effect.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:55 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• ive tried to give her other things to chew on but she will just stick them down her throat... Do u know how long it will last???
    Yokoshima

Comment by Yokoshima (original poster) at 2:01 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• It really is just a phase. Just keep pulling them out of her mouth. All of my little ones went through this and it can be a pain, especially when they throw us. Just be patient and it will pass.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:06 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• My son did it for a while too. He is 16 months old now.. and only does it on occasion. But when he doesn't get a reaction from me he quits. I dont know if at 9 months your daughters looking for a reaction quite yet.. so keep up the good work of trying to distract her best you can... you will get through it!
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 3:05 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• My daughter was about 2.5 yrs when she stopped. I can't remember when my son stopped. Both of my schildren had GERD and I suppose that contributed to it.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:10 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• GERD???
    Yokoshima

Comment by Yokoshima (original poster) at 3:13 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• GERD is acid reflux. My son did that for about 2 months right around your DD age and as hard as it was we just ignored it when he did it so he wasnt getting a reaction. After about 2 weeks of that he stopped doing it and has never started again. Hang in there. Just remember she isn't hurting herself and its her way of discovering different things about her body.
    tmpmom1116

Answer by tmpmom1116 at 3:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2011