What can I give DD to help her poop?

Ok so my daughter had been sick with a virus for 1o days and had a liquid diet for two days then started slowly back on solids on wednesday. Wednesday and Thursday she had diarrhea and she hasn't had a bowel movement since then. I just now noticed that her belly was big and hard and I don't think it was that way until earlier this evening after she ate. What can I do do help her have a bowel movement?

proudmom2510

Asked by proudmom2510 at 4:16 AM on Feb. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would NOT give pedialax. Especially after a stomach virus because it is a stimulant laxative and can cause cramping and nausea just like exlax for adults. I'd give her prunes or prune juice, and if the taste is too gross, try pears or pear juice. If she hasnt pooped by tomorrow and her belly is big and hard, call the dr. They might want to see her. They gave us a prescription for miralax for my son when he was constipated and it definately worked but it didnt have any side effects like stimulant laxatives have.

Like someone else said, stay away from banannas and also apples because the pectin can be constipating.

Hope she feels better soon!
    tmpmom1116

Answer by tmpmom1116 at 3:19 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Prune juice diluted with water. Be careful though, too much can cause stomach cramping and diarrhea. If she is an infant, no more than 2 oz.prune and 2 oz water.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:19 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• You can purchase a laxative its called pedia-lax its for children you can purchase it at any drug store they have it in different forms though like enema ,suppositories,they also have it in a liquid form you have to stick it up there and its like a little strige and you squeeze it and she should have a bowelmovement within 2 mins here's the link if you wanna check it out http://www.pedia-lax.com/Products.php
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 4:23 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• White Karo syrup will have her pooping in no time
    BabyColeman1

Answer by BabyColeman1 at 4:24 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Not to mention my daughter had problems having bowelmovements from birth all the way to she was eight months old i tried the kero syrup but it stopped working after a while cus she just got use to it and they changed her formula cus that had alot to do with it gave her juice nothing worked so my doctor recommended trying the pedia-lax liquid glycerin supppositories and they worked great for her when she was constipated so i would give it a try and good luck :-)
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 4:34 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Be careful because there are some thing you can give a school age child that you can't give to a toddler or younger. Check with your pediatrician.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 7:30 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Stay away from bananas like GlitteribonMom suggests; bananas plug you up.

Organic black strap molasses will work. You can also give her a dose of magnesium oxide every night before bed (you can open the capsules if she can't swallow pills). You can also try epsom salt baths (the magnesium gets absorbed through the skin and is a wonderful detoxifier and sleep aid as well).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I fed my daughter baby prunes but she wouldn't eat all that much. Then I went and got Fig Nutons that are high in fiber and made from prunes and gave her a little. that seemed to help her. I also made sure she was drinking a lot of water and we had a diaper blow up! but she felt better and was a much happier 15 month old!! GL!!
    1stTimeMommy101

Answer by 1stTimeMommy101 at 8:20 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• How old is she? Have you tried increasing the fiber in her diet?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:41 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Thanks! I will try something tomorrow. I was just a bit worried because I asked my boyfriend for advice and he said a big hard belly wasn't normal if she hadn't pooped in that long.
    proudmom2510

Comment by proudmom2510 (original poster) at 4:39 AM on Feb. 13, 2011