Transitioning From Homeschooling To Public School

Our son is 9 and he's been homeschooled since first grade. Next year, he will be returning to public school. Over the last few months, we've been giving him TAKS exams so that we can take them in to show the school principal, along with examples of other work he's been doing. He blew through the 4th grade exams without a mistake, then the 5th grade exams, no mistakes. He's currently doing 6th grade exams and scoring well. We don't want him to skip a grade or anything, he's just a kid who enjoys pushing himself so he asked to start taking the 6th grade exams.
Does anyone know what we can expect in terms of what the school will want to see in order to re-enroll him in the 5th grade?
Has anyone had experiences transitioning a child from homeschooling to public school that you could share with me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Sadly, if it were me i would not send him to public schools. If he is really that far ahead he is going to be bored in school and you will have to give him work at home. I am not sure what the school will want to see and they might want to test him themselves, I am not sure. I will tell you this, my son is in 6th grade and we are looking at pulling him out to home school him. HE is bored in school and not being pushed at all. He comes home asking for more work and things that he can do.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:44 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Honestly, our transition was the opposite, we moved our kids from public school to homeschool. But, I did have known people who went from homeschool to public school and it seems the result was always the same - the kids were bored, way above grade level and not treated very nicely. Maybe you could look into a private school, the transitions here seem to be better with our private school, but only because they keep the curriculum set to nearly a grade higher than public school. Good luck!

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:56 AM on Feb. 13, 2011