Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Which name should I use when filing my taxes?

I was married 8 months ago. I had my name changed at the DMV when I went for a renewal last month but I haven't got it changed at the Social Security Office. I thought you had to do it there 1st but the people at the DMV said I could get it changed on my licence 1st. Now my license has my married last name but my social security card has my maiden last name. When filing my taxes today, should I use my madien name or my married name? I don't want to use the wrong one and cause more delay. We are already expecting to have to wait another 11 weeks because we are filing an injured spouse form so they won't take my husband's refund to use towards my student loans.


Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (12)
  • I had this same issue. I changed my drivers license and not my SS card, yet I had my paychecks listed in my married name. You need to put both names on your income tax form. I put my first, middle, maiden, married names on them and then you sign it that way. So it would be something like Anne Marie Williams Keller. This is what my accountant had me do. I never had a problem with them accepting the forms.

    Answer by layh41407 at 8:44 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

  • Use the name your paychecks are made out to.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 8:16 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

  • Use the name your SS is made out to. You'll have to change that ASAP; the IRS may withhold your return if you don't.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

  • Maybe you should change your SS tomorrow and wait till that card comes in??

    Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:23 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

  • Your legal name is the one on your social security card not your license. You also need to get it changed ASAP as they only allow you to change it for a certain period of time for free after getting married.

    Answer by aeneva at 8:28 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

  • You have to use the name that is on your social security card or your return will not be accepted, I know from experience!

    Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:42 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

  • You have to file with the name on your social security card. That is the name the IRS has on file for you.

    Answer by gemgem at 8:58 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

  • Your name that is on your Social

    Answer by alyssamal at 9:10 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

  • I had a similar problem. When filing your taxes, I would use your LEGAL name, and the Soc Sec will still send their statements using your old name. Since your SS# is listed on both it should be matched. Just get to the Soc Sec office as soon as possible, takes just a few minutes to change. Bring ID, wedding license, birth certificate, old soc sec card # etc.

    Answer by AvonLadySandy at 9:16 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

  • Go with what is on your social. If your employer changed your name on your payroll without your new social and a new I-9, I am shocked.

    Answer by ABPeterson at 10:04 AM on Feb. 13, 2011