Do you think piercings/tattoos are an okay "mom" thing to do?

I would like to get opinions from other moms as to if they feel piercings are acceptable when they have children. I just haven't decided myself. I had a nose ring at one point but I felt it made me less like a "mom" for some reason. Like I was trying to be young. FYI I am 22 so I am not old but I feel like it LOL. My daughter is 15 months. I have seen other moms with eyebrow piercings, lip piercings, nose rings, and other piercings around the ear other than the normal on on the lobe. I took my nose ring out cuz it hurt when my baby bumped it and I would forget I had it and yank it out with a towel. But part of me also thinks it takes away from how I want to raise my daughter. I don't want her to have facial piercings and all that. What do you other moms think?

What do you think about tattoos? I have 3 and one of them is my daughters name. The only one that can be seen while clothed is her name and 3 stars around it, one for me, her, and her daddy. But the other ones can be hidden with a shirt.

Where do you other mothers draw the line with tattoos and piercings?? Do you feel its acceptable that mothers have piercings? tattoos?

Thanks for answering! I am just looking for thoughts, not making judgments so nobody be offended! I would like all different points of views!! =D Thank you in advance!!

1stTimeMommy101

Asked by 1stTimeMommy101 at 8:18 AM on Feb. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• All I have is my ears pierced, but I see nothing wrong with moms having piercings and tattoos. I don't think it defines you as a mother; however, I could see where taking piercings out when you have kids could be a good thing, just for you safety. Kids like to pull on things, I could see lip rings and other piercings being pulled out. I just got contacts, so my ds would stop yanking my glasses off my face. Also you said, you didn't want your daughter to have facial piercings, if that's the case I think it would be a good idea to take the piercings out, too. That way you can be more of role model (not saying that you couldn't be with the piercings). I'm just saying it's hard to say your daughter can't have some when you already has something. I know there is the saying "Do as I say, not as I do," but who are we kidding, children follow your example more if you DOING. It all has to do with how YOU want to raise your DD.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:39 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• well my opinion is this: tattoos and piercings do not make the mother you are. as long as you are a good mother to your child(ren), you can be as tatted/pierced up as you want to be.

i personally only have 2 holes in each ear, and 3 tats, 1 of which is my daughters' initials. thats just all i desire in the tattoo/piercing department. but i do think a mom can have as much as she wants, given her children are the most important thing to her.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:22 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Tattoos and piercings have zero to do with motherhood. While I have no piercings I do have 2 tattoo's and plan on at least 2 more in the next few years.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:20 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I think it is a personal decision. I have 2 tattoos one in memory of my father, one the represent my new beginning after meeting my biological father and family and I plan another to represent both my children. I used to have several earrings, but took them out for work and I think they have grown shut all except the bottom ones. I don't think any less of a mom who has piercings or that they are trying to be young (I am 34 BTW), but I am sure some people do.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:23 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I do feel they have to do with motherhood as I am an example as a mother.

And you can still be a good example, regardless of your tattoos or piercings cant you? My parents had zero of each and yet i still have what i have. their lack of ink/metal did not sway me to not get any. this doesnt mean your daughter is going to want to have a lot of tattoos or piercings just because mommy does.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:27 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I'm 47. I work in the corporate community and live in business suits;not exactly what you picture when you hear "Moms with piercings and tattoos". I have several piercings that most won't ever see. I don't have a tat yet but have been wanting one since I was 17 and will probably get one soon (though it'll be where most of the world won't see it).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I dont see anything wrong with it. I just dont see how tattoos and piercings play any role in being an example. Just my opinion though. It is an expression of someones personality and being able to express yourself can be a great example. Some dont like it but thats their personal preff. I have a 4yo and still have a small stud in my nose and a navel ring. Im only 26 but dont think the age matters anyway.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:28 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• To each, his/or her own.
    ThankfullyProud

Answer by ThankfullyProud at 8:29 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I don't think there is anything wrong with piercing or tattoos have much to with being a mom. I think that if you choose to have them then you need to be able to explain to your children why you have them and be ready to deal with it when they want them. For me I am not into piercing although there are certain things I don't like when it comes to then and I have talked to my children about that. I do have tattoos and my children know why I have them.

I don't think piercing or tattoos make you seem young or like you are trying to be young. I think as a mom you have to do what you think is best and if they aren't for you then that is your choice.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:31 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

1stTimeMommy101

Comment by 1stTimeMommy101 (original poster) at 8:24 AM on Feb. 13, 2011