Home schooling moms can you give me your input?

My son currently attends public school & is in the 3rd grade. In 2nd grade, he had a wonderful teacher & a great year. This year I feel like the school is ruining my child. His teacher is one of those who really does only work 7 hours a day & puts only what is required by contract into her job. My son is a unique kid, with a very inquisitive mind and I don't want him to be beaten down by school.

He is an only child & I worry about socialization and my own ability to adequately home-school him, but I'm really considering it. Why do you you home-school? Where do you get your curriculum? How do you make sure your child gets enough social interaction?

Any input would be most welcome!

sweetpotato418

Asked by sweetpotato418 at 9:09 AM on Feb. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am also looking into home schooling. My son is in 6th grade and he is really not learning anything at school at this point. I am thinking of home schooling him for 7th and 8th grade and then having go to the high school if he wants. What I did was I looked at the home school laws in my area and I contacted the support person for my town. She gave me a lot of wonderful information. I know in my area there are a lot of people that home school and support groups, I think finding someone like that would help you a lot.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:12 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Have you considered having him transferred to another class? That may help.

We have a lot of reasons why we are home-schooling. I'll just give you the short part. I don't like the private school, hubby doesn't like our public schools, so we compromised on home-school after I did a lot of research. Number one misconception about home school is the socialization. I can't even tell you how many times my older son came home with a note about his talking, and trying to be 'social.'

I chose A Beka for the curriculum. Research, research and research. There is so much information out there. Try to find a local yahoo home-school group. Find a co-op to join. Check your state government page for laws, and check out http://www.hslda.org/

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:29 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• If you have already questioned your ability, then you should not even attempt it. Simple as that.

Just because you *can* does not mean that you should.

"Beaten down by public school". Really? Have you ever been homeschooled? Do you understand what THAT does to a person? No? well, you can never have an informed opinion until you've lived it, like I have.

Wow - clearly you had a bad experience, but frankly I don't deserve to be lashed out at by whatever happened to you being home-schooled. If you have some constructive advice to give, please do so. But I am trying to look out for my son. My husband teaches high school - this isn't a question I'm asking lightly. Whoever you are angry with, don't take it out on me.
    sweetpotato418

Comment by sweetpotato418 (original poster) at 9:30 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I'd like to suggest a group here on CM http://www.cafemom.com/group/699

More experienced home-school moms. Great group, and I'm happy I found them.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:46 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• You were given constructive advice, but I will gladly expand.

In life, only during this short period do we have the opportunity to mold our children into the adults which we would see ruling society. That simply is not possible to accomplish unless a child learns to successfully navigate the "hive" mentality of our societal structure. In no way, shape, or form is HS an appropriate alternative for teaching these hive like behaviors to children. They will simply flounder later in life.
    You may argue that they will have a better education, which is *possible* but unlikely considering that the vast majority of HS parents are unqualified to teach. Regardless of education, intelligence is possessed, or it isn't. Your child is predestined to be smart, or be the village idiot, and no amount of schooling can negate that fact.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:10 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Even if you "socialize" with play groups, homeschool groups, and sports- the children your children come in contact with will be hand selected, and their interactions closely monitored. That is not socialization. Neither is PS for that matter, but what it teaches is more important than any amount of math on the planet... What they glean from being a part of the hive is A) how to successfully function within it B) how to later in life run it.
    If you have doubts about whether or not you *should* homeschool. Then it is simple. You should not.
    ObbyDobbie

• A Beka? Really? Would you also suggest BJU Studies? Wow.

Yes, do your homework regarding the curriculum, because it is overtly favoring the xtian sects, and nothing else. Even to the point of refusing to explain biology!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:12 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• OP, I get the impression you are interested in secular homeschooling. I understand your concern, but my first course of action would be to have my child transferred to a different classroom (which I had to do this year, when my middle child's K-5 teacher stated before school started that he would "need to be retained, because he was never in a proper child care facility with people who are qualified to teach him what he needs." Needless to say, he was placed in a different classroom IMMEDIATELY.

My point in stating that, is simply that it is my job to remove dangers, but not my job to remove life experience which is needed to survive. You, especially with a singleton, have the burden of forcing him to be in constant contact with people so that he doesn't develop a superiority (or "only child") complex. Homeschooling would make his life incredibly hard a few years down the road.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:16 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Obby, you have some serious issues, really. Seek help. You are not offering advice. You are being rude, and critical. I also said I chose A Beka, not that she should choose it. Good lord woman, you must be miserable. I suggest you do more research on home-school.

OP, ignore her. She really hasn't a clue.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:17 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:22 AM on Feb. 13, 2011