Do you agree with this quote from Ernestine Rose?

Why or why not?

~ It is an interesting and demonstrable fact, that all children are atheists and were religion not inculcated into their minds, they would remain so ~ Ernestine Rose

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:33 AM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I disagree with the quote. Infants have no concept of religion so how could they choose to be an atheist?
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 3:21 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I agree, it is taught.......

Answer by older at 9:36 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I don't really agree that faith/spirituality is something that is taught. Yes, dogma, doctrine, those are things we are educated on, but the sense of something more, that connectedness, that drive to believe in something - that is something that is a natural thing for many. Mankind has always been driven by a sense of seeking the Divine, through the various societies and cultures and times. I don't think lacking belief in religion - orthodoxy, dogma, doctrine, etc - is comparable to being Atheist (not believing anything), as many DO believe in something more, and search for it, even without the idea of religion or dogma.... I guess I'm just trying to say that there IS a kind of belief that isn't taught, so we can't just assume that Atheism would be the natural state of humanity or anything...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:49 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• No, I think that everyone is a spirtual being but, just needs training like you are taught how to speak.
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 9:43 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I agree--religion and the concept of deities and their accompanying characteristics are taught.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:07 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Because an explicit or strong atheist has to know about god and religion to take their stance, I would not agree that they are truly atheists, or if they are they are implicit or weak atheists (or agnostic).

Personally, I think they are naturalistic pantheists. They accept natural explanations for things, but don't really know about religion until they are taught. This may be because I am one though, so probably some bias there. ;-)

I do agree that they are naturally areligious and probably some form of non-theist until they are taught otherwise though.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:09 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I do not agree because children have a will to learn, a natural curiosity, no matter where the answers come from.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:31 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• This might be a shock to people, but I don't agree. An Atheist is someone who knows about god and religions and chooses to not believe. Babies are a blank slate and do need to be taught, but are not considered anything religious or not religious until that personal choice is made. I mean parents can SAY their child is Christian or Pagan or what ever, but in reality, they aren't because they haven't made that adult decision yet.
    IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 9:59 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• From the pantheism.net webpage:

"Pantheism is the belief that the universe and nature are numinous - that they and they alone are worthy of the reverence that traditional religions devote to "God."

Pantheism is the perennial religion. Children are born with it, and it continually emerges from all human spiritual traditions. It is the feeling of awe and wonder that reality itself inspires, onto which theistic religions project their imagined deities.

Pantheism is as old as human speculative thought. It dates as far back as the Upanishads, the Tao te Ching and the first Greek philosophers such as Thales and . Heraclitus, the Chinese Taoist Chuang Tzu, and the Stoic philosopher Zeno of Cittium.

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:11 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Pantheism is the perennial religion. Children are born with it, and it continually emerges from all human spiritual traditions. It is the feeling of awe and wonder that reality itself inspires, onto which theistic religions project their imagined deities.

Does a pantheist 'worship' nature? Seeing how I believe everything 'paranormal' or 'supernatural' is natural and will someday be explainable, I wonder if I'm not really 'all'  Atheist, but a version of Atheism and Pantheism blended together...

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Feb. 13, 2011