Do you believe in ugly American sydrome

My Public speaking teacher called it American priviledge do you believe in it whatever you call it? Do you believe we are all of the ugly things they say like spoiled, wasteful and over indulged?

pinkdragon36

Asked by pinkdragon36 at 9:55 AM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No I dont believe in it. I think there are good and bad people in every country, and good and bad attributes in every country. I think trying to label anyone is wrong.

Answer by gemgem at 9:57 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I believe people get remembered for negative reasons far more easily than positive. If you remember the 2 rude, loud or obnoxious people and forget the 200 polite ones who faded into the background, you're going to be inclined to stereotype a group based on the 2 loud ones. That doesn't mean it's an intelligent thing to do, but it's going to happen.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:26 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Some people are very self centered. It is true.

I know just as many immigrants that are self centered though...and some of them haven't been here all that long. So I think it may be the sign of the world, like the french protesting the retirement age being raised. Tell me that's not bratty. If you are going to live till 90, why should you only work till 60? someone else should pay for you for like half your life? (childhood + senior years?)
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:22 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• No. I think there are "ugly" people in EVERY country!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:12 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• That's a sweeping generalization; generalizations are rarely accurate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I think that applies to all nationalities, not just Americans. I try not to act that way or live that way, and I make a conscious effort to remember the people who aren't like that instead of the ones that are.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:03 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I've met plenty of ugly Canadiens, ugly French, ugly Brits, ugly koreans, ugly Japanese, etc...etc....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:59 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I dont think that type of behavior is exclusive to just Americans.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:02 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I think to a degree, yes. But, there is no country out there who does not have an "ugly" side. We could sit & compare our ugliness to other countries all day, but when it comes down to it...no country is perfect. There is always room for improvement.

I do think that some people are wasteful consumers, spoiled & over indulged...but there are many people like this in other countries. Why do people assume we're the only ones? I think it's because we're a huge country with power, and that makes it easier to point fingers. I'm sure many people in other countries would LOVE to be as "spoiled" as we Americans are. Resources are an awesome thing, and if resources mean we're spoiled, then OK....I'll take that. Wish every country had as many resources as we do.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:00 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Sometimes it is true. I think too often Americans travel to other countries and expect not to adapt to another culture, but that the culture will adapt to them. And that is a spoiled, entitled attitude.

I think that is more true for people coming to America. They don't seem to want to adapt to our culture.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 1:38 PM on Feb. 13, 2011