How do i start the birds and bees talk with my ten year old Daughter?

I am not sure where to begin or even how to talk to her. all my mom told me was when i started my period don't have sex. i had to figure everything out on my own, i have already had the menstrual cycle talk. i don't want to give to much detail yet but i want to make sure she gets enough info that she is not confused either. any ideas? it is bad enough a girl told her that you get pregnant from holding hands with a boy. i had to tell her that is not true.

WildCat73

Asked by WildCat73 at 10:01 AM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Oh first of all dont stress about it. Remember she is just as uncomfortable with the conversation as you are, so start by telling her that. I told mine something like I know this is not something you want to hear or are even comfortable talking to your mom about, but it is something you need to know, and you need to know you can come to me with any problems or questions about this. I will be here for your regardless. Then start with asking her how she thinks babies are born. Then go from there.

Answer by gemgem at 10:03 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I agree with gemgem, I let my kids lead the conversation. I actually used a napkin and made a ball for an egg and then something that looked similar to a sperm, I was talking with my son at the time. We talked about everything and I let him ask questions, when we were nearing the end I siad "do you have any more questions?" He said "yeah, how to the sperm and the egg really come together." SO I told him and he was like that is so gross. Funny because now he is 14 and girls are starting look interesting to him.

We also have this rule that if you have a questions and don't want to ask you can write it down on a piece of paper, then I answer by writing back. This has worked really well as far as explaining things like BJ's and that sort of thing.

I would just make sure she knows she can come to you no matter what.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:12 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• she knos about her body. just not about sex and how babies are made. i don't think telling a disabled six yearold is a good idea. but she is at the age now that she will understand more. i mean telling her about the menstrual cycle was bad enough she cried because she did not want to bleed and was afraid she would bleed to death. I had to sit down and fully discuss it with her to get her to understand

WildCat73

Comment by WildCat73 (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• NOW NOW NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do NOT wait. This is an ongoing coverstation that needed to be started at like 6 yrs old. You start with their body parts and move on from there. Your daughter is already getting partial information in health class. She will also be getting, untrue information from her friends at school. It is better for our kids to be informed and educated and not in the dark about our bodies. Be open and honest. Do NOT freak out with any questions that she asks. If you don't know the information, tell her you will find out and talk about it after.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:11 AM on Feb. 13, 2011