Anyone know of anything that works for adult acne?

My acne started early, at age 11, now I am 25 and it's still here. I have times where it's mostly gone and times where it's really bad. It's almost always better than when I was 14, but I also almost always have black heads and white heads and at least a few gross pimples. I'm sick of it. I feel gross and dirty. It doesn't matter if I am eating mostly grease or mostly vegetables, I never have clear skin. I tried proactive, all the over the counter stuff (noxema, neutregena, all of it), soap, everything. I am a clean person, but I look in the mirror and feel dirty. Has anyone had success with anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Health

• GetawayGirl--she said proactive didn't work. It doesn't work for me either.

This may sound strange, but I use hydrogen peroxide on my skin. It works well. I only use it once a day and you need to be careful because it will bleach your eyebrows. I am also very cafeful to not touch my face during the day.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Pro Active !! I raised 5 kids and some who had acne as adults and that stuff is magic!!
    GetawayGirl

Answer by GetawayGirl at 10:22 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I'd talk with a doctor. I had acne most of my life and thought it went away. I was thrilled. Then I noticed my face was red all the time. Turned out I now have Rosecea (which they call adult acne). I have to use a cream to kill the bacteria and a super duper moisturizing cream (prescription)

Answer by admckenzie at 10:39 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Accutane is the only thing that works for dh. You would have to be on 2 forms of bc though because it causes birth defects,

spamica

Answer by spamica at 11:47 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I had the same problem and I know this answer sucks but: time worked for me. The closer I got to 30 the better it got. Now at 31 I very rarely have one or two blemishes and they are never the big nasty red ones I used to get.

In the meantime I did do some things that helped me. I don't know if it was the specific products or the concentrated effort... I do fully believe that sticking with only one brand helps me. If I replace any one of these products with a different brand I break out again. Even now when my skin is mostly clear I follow this almost every day:

Neutrogena Grapefruit scrub in the shower
    Rapid Clear spot treatment and Rapid Clear lotion after the shower
    cover any spots with Neutrogena Clear Skin Concealer before I apply my makeup
    use only Neutrogena concealer and powder
    Every night before bed (even if I wore no makeup) I wipe my face with the Neutrogena Cleansing Cloths.
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 3:03 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Getaway girl- thank you, but proactive didn't work at all for me. I used it for six months religiously. It also didn't work for two of my cousins who had severe acne (all the girl cousins in my maternal family have had acne issues, none of the boy cousins) or my step-sister who had mild acne. One of my cousins used it inconsistently but the other (her sister) used it religiously like me, she's super regimented.

admc- thank you! I did see a doctor once who put me on birth control pills and another time put me on antibiotics. Neither worked. I forgot to mention that. If it persists in future I may go back.

layh- thanks! And thank you for the suggestion. Did you have an acne problem that it worked for? mild? moderate? or is that just what you do for prevention?

spamica- oh wow, that'd be a big last resort. That would scare me too much. Maybe if I weren't breastfeeding now and if I had a long period of abstinence.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• angel- thanks! in a way that is helpful because maybe there is an end or at least a slow in sight!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:45 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• You most wash your face at least twice a day and apply ointments to dry it out and will peel off eventually.
    avilio54

Answer by avilio54 at 11:23 AM on Feb. 15, 2011