So who is right?

There have been a few questions this weekend that delve into questions of Christian dogma and scripture interpretation, and the only thing that's come out of them is that no 2 Christians can actually agree on what the Bible says (or rather, what it MEANS).

So where does that leave you, if you are one of the many weighing in. If you're right, does that mean everyone else is doing it wrong and bound for Hell? If it's not that serious, is it perhaps time people stop presenting things as being "Christian" and instead present them as specific to their denomination or personal belief?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:19 AM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Is there a religion where everyone totally agrees on everything? I've been wondering that...

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:21 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• For me I just think that everyone gets something different out of the Bible and no one is really wrong. God will communicate with each of us differently depending on what life lesson we have in front of us.

Answer by gemgem at 10:21 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• There is no right or wrong, individuals interpret differently.

Answer by older at 10:23 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Everyone has their own opinion and it's not right or wrong.
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 10:26 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

On everything? No. But, my question is more can simple Christianity be considered a single religion anymore? It's not as simple as believe in Jesus and go to Heaven, despite how people insist that's all it takes. Because once you ask a few more questions, it's obvious, nobody really believes that - they believe that's a PART of it, but everyone has their own set of strings attached to it. Can the all gays will burn in Hell and the all gays are equal people really be practicing the same religion? How about the various interpretations of adultery - can those who save themselves for marriage really be practicing the same religion as those who practice try before you buy?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:31 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

Then why are there rules at all?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I don't know who goes where after we die, It's up to God to decide.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:40 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Christianity be considered a single religion anymore? It's not as simple as believe in Jesus and go to Heaven, despite how people insist that's all it takes. Because once you ask a few more questions, it's obvious, nobody really believes that - they believe that's a PART of it, but everyone has their own set of strings attached to it.

--

It's definitely not a single religion, and personally I think people should stop putting their foot down insisting that their way is the RIGHT and ONLY way and just try to live what they believe. They need to stop and listen to other people and find some common ground instead of only focusing on differences all the time. To me, this is true of any traditionally exclusive religion. I also wish people would stop saying someone is not a 'true Christian' if they don't believe something specific. Practicing compassion and seeing ourselves in others is more important. JMHO
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:48 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Practicing compassion and seeing ourselves in others is more important.

There's the rub - I think this is a 2 way issue, and I'm referring as much to the answers that were downvoted/hidden as the ones that were upvoted. Instead of constantly trying to cram the "other side" into the same little box, why not just be content to say there's a religion that opposes homosexuality, adultery, abortion, and the existence of other religions, and there's a religion that believes all mankind should be treated fairly and equally, and both religions branched off from Christianity? There's condemnation from both sides towards both sides, it's just one side is more likely to get a pass on it, but they're still saying "you're doing it wrong". They're just phrasing it differently.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Christianity is a VERY diverse religion, there are many sub-sects in this group and each of those have their own rules and interpretations (try comparing a Catholic service to a Pentecostal one and you'll see what I mean). So, yes, it stands to reason that there are going to be a lot of different opinions here.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:12 AM on Feb. 13, 2011