My son is 7 & still wetting bed most nights so use overnites 4boys, tried bedwet alarm, wakes every1 EXCEPT him!

No beverages after 730 (bedtime 830-9), read stuff, nothing working!? HELP, he is getting soo self conscious now - wont go to sleep overs, only have them here (I need a nite off too!)

tialynne1965

Asked by tialynne1965 at 10:28 AM on Feb. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i had this with my oldest. We tried everything and nothing worked. We woke him up in the middle of the night and used the alarm, we reduced drinks, eliminated caffeine. None of the usual suggestions worked. He would even pee through the Goodnights! The doctor cleared him of any medical issues and we were just cleaning up the messes.  Finally the doctor suggested that since we had tried everything else, why don't we try the medication.  We tried it and it was wonderful.  He could go to soccer camp and sleepovers, it really helped with his self confidence.  I am one that only tries meds as a last resort, but he was 10 and miserable.  It was so great that I could have kicked myself for not trying it sooner. 

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:40 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I wet the bed til I was 12 and my Mom would punish me for it. It was a medicial problem but, she didn't know that. I would have to wash and hang out my sheets everyday before school. Plus, I slept w/ my sister and u know that was no fun for her. Finally, I went to visit my aunt for 6 wks. and I didn't dare do it there and it broke me somehow. Just, be patient it will stop.
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 10:35 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Oh, and when I mean cleared him of medical issues, I mean infections or what not. The doctor said it had something to do with a part of the brain that sometimes doesn't mature as fast in some people as it does in most.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:41 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• It breaks your heart when you can't make things good for your kids.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:44 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Yes it is very common for kids to wet the bed until they are around 12 ish. The little bladder has not grown large enough for the size of the body. You might want to take him to the Dr to check for any issues going on like if he ever has unexplained fevers or bladder infections just to be sure that there are no kidney issues going on..but I bet you it is just the same ole common thing many kids deal with. I say do what you can to keep him dry. Like the "Goodnights" pullups. They look like little boxers. Just have him go to the bathroom with the door closed with his overnight bag and slip it on if he stays the night anywhere.
    Then set your alarm on your phone to go off every 2 hours and remind him to go empty his bladder. Make sure he stays in there, is relaxed and not rushed and he finishes.At least 3 minutes. The bladder will produce more at night when he is relaxed so you have to empty it during the day.Be sweet2him
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:07 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Have you taken him to the doctor to see if he has a physical problem? Underdeveloped bladder? Over active bladder? Both can be helped with medication or surgery. If he has either of those, limiting liquids will not matter.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:08 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Momforhealth--I tried that with my son. We would wake him up to go to the bathroom, he would indeed go, but then about half an hour later the alarm would go off and he was wet. We actually tried charting times the alarm went off and we never found a pattern.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:37 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• DD still wets the bed at 14 so I've looked into this a lot. Deep sleepers seem to have this problem - which is why your DS doesn't wake to the bed wetting alarm. Do get him checked for medical issues. I found the book, 'Getting to Dry' by Maizels to be a terrific resource on this topic.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 11:37 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• both of kids still use goodnites at bed - they are 6 & 4. they are sound sleepers.
    hkarpo

Answer by hkarpo at 12:34 PM on Feb. 13, 2011