Could you live without your cell phone?

I see people everyday who can't seem to live without one; like they have to be connected to their phone 24/7- even when taking a shit. People walk into signs, fountains, on-coming traffic, people get into accidents from texting while driving, kids are cheating in school with them and on and on.

I can understand if it's the only phone you have, or you need it for work or your child in case of emergencies- but if none of those situations are applicable, why do you feel the need to constantly be texting, talking or updating your Facebook?

Do you think if suddenly there were no cell phones, you could survive?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:30 AM on Feb. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Yep. I was fine before cell phones, and I'd be fine again. I really detest how dependent people have become on their phones, and I find cell phone etiquette to be almost an oxymoron. People think they need to be plugged into their stupid cell phone all the time, at all hours. People find nothing wrong with whipping out their cell phone during movies, dinner or conversations, to text someone or take a call. Unless you are an on-call physician, you don't NEED a cell phone.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 7:29 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I've lived without mine for two years now & you would be surprised at how peaceful and drama free my life has become! It has also helped with my money situation.

Hope4Teal

Answer by Hope4Teal at 10:36 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• ABSOLUTELY!! I think I'm the last person on earth who ONLY uses their cell phone AS a phone, and uses it an AVERAGE of 15 minutes per month!! LOL

I work 4 miles from home, my children are in full day school, and anyone who NEEDS to reach me, has our home and work numbers. When my children were birth to age 8 I was a SAHM...so I only ever NEEDED my phone to call people if I was going to be late/stuck in traffic, or AAA!

I guess having grown up in a time when such technology WAS NOT available served to solidify my problem solving skills and resourcefulness! Which is a good thing! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:02 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• It is essential for my job but if need be, I could and would do w/o it; having a cell for work, is very invasive and some people have no respect for your time. The ability to reach family, especially, when safety issues are a concern, would be the only thing I would miss...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 2:58 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Yes, I could. I barely use it now. As a matter of fact. I'm getting rid of it next month.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:31 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Of course, I only text and call my DH with it. I usually don't know where it is until he calls or texts me. lol My DS likes to hide it in the couch cushions.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:33 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I could but there would be a big transition period.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:42 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Yep. I lose mine almost every day.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:24 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Survive? Yes. Want too? umm no. I enjoy the fact that my kids (and their school) can get in touch with me wherever I am. I also like that when my tire lost a strip on the side of the interstate in the middle of BFE with my 3 kids in the car I was able to call for a someone to come help us! And that when we had one car and I had to take my hubby to and from work I didnt have to sit in the parking lot for 2 hrs not knowing if he is going to be late or not.....I LOVE my cell phone! :)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:58 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• We gave ours up two years ago and I don't miss it at all now. I might if I broke down along the road somewhere, but otherwise, the landline is perfect. When I'm outside doing chores, shopping, etc. I have 'me' time again. I missed that more than I could ever miss the cell phone!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:00 PM on Feb. 13, 2011