How can I get my 7yr old to eat better - more variety - any good pack lunch ideas?

My son is the most diffiult with food. Likes - sphaghetti, plain chicken, steak, rice sometimes, NO veggies, use to sneak in soups & stuff but if he sees green, wont eat! He can sit for hours looking at it - likes pizza a little, mostly pulls pepperoni off, most kids yogurts, choc ice cream, cheese sticks (@times), OJ, crackers, oranges, apples, strawberries, plain tuna fish, chick & stars soup, 1/day sour gummy vitamins, yes, most sugary candies he gets his hands on (not often) HELP?!

tialynne1965

Asked by tialynne1965 at 10:47 AM on Feb. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have girls ages 9,7,and 6 and they love for lunchs is peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, crackers, lunch meat sandwiches, even nutella sandwishes, can freeze and unthaw by their lunch time yoguat in a tube, try things like carrot cake, fiber muffins, raisin, trail mix, can do beside vitamins those sidekicks ensure drinks, fruit with dipping sauce, veggies with dip, with likes pepperoni maybe add with crackers for lunch and some cheese, my girls like cooked carrots only if I add some maple syrup and brown sugar to them, brocolli with cheese, lunchables are good for lunch, get some kids cook books and have him find some recipes and then maybe even have him help.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:16 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• I actually think he sounds like he eats a lot of different foods. As far as eating veggies I would try putting them in different things. The other thing we did was we had a trying plate and we would put new foods on that. My kids loved to try different foods that way and it was fun. We would get a special plate and put all different kinds of food on it.

Lastly, you could try making things like smoothies or shakes if you think he isn't getting enough. I would talk to the doctor if you become really concerned.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:05 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• My dd is a picky eater, but she likes fruit and veggies. She packs a lunch since school lunch is horrible most of the time. I usually go with Peanut butter and honey, or a ham sandwich, sometimes a tuna sandwich. I put in yogurt, jello, or pudding snacks. I also will put in some crackers as a side, or celery sticks with pb. I go to walmart and they sell those little snacks in the produce section like carrots with ranch, or apples with caramel and she loves them. You can also try handy snacks.

Answer by gemgem at 10:49 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• You have to sneak it into his food. For example..make lasagna pin wheels. Instead of laying the noodle flat you spread the cheese and spinach on the noodle and then roll it up. Serve with sauce on top. My kids will gobble that up but wont touch lasagna...lol.
    Homemade blueberry muffins, quiche with veggies. or make scrambled eggs but mince up mushrooms in it and serve with cheese (mushrooms high antioxidants) I make alfredo with brocolli and chicken in it. The kids dont like the veggie so I just boil the broc with the noodles...maybe they will get something from it.
    I feel that kids need a good balance. It looks like you are doing o.k. in his lunch just give a little of each food group. Limit the candy..or he does not get candy until he eats a no thank you helping of his greens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Include him in the preperation. Have you tried veggies with dip. Ranch dressing-sour cream and onion. Chinese food. Grilled veggies bring out the sweetness.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 11:05 AM on Feb. 13, 2011

• To be honest when I was little my mom didn't make special meals for me it was what she cooked and that's it veggies or not you had to eat it! and this is going to sound bad but i force my 6 year old to eat some veggies otherwise he won't I tried everything and nothing worked so what I do now is I put some veggies on his meal not much and let him put ketchup or BBQ sauce on it because he love that on everything and make him eat it first than anything that way he's hungry and is easier to eat something that you don't like when you are hungry and if he doesn't he's favorite things like ds or computer games are taken away or if he attempt to throw up which I know my son and he once did it on purpose he hasn't done it since and he does eat veggies better but it takes longer that other foods although he can't stand asparagus other than that he's doing good and veggies are very imp in our children's diet. Good Luck it's not easy....
    JPAJsmom

Answer by JPAJsmom at 8:36 PM on Feb. 13, 2011

• Thanks to all, 4got to mention he will only eat flat sphaghetti, no other pasta shapes even thou I try - doesnt like Peanut butter or jelly, does not like any dips or sauces (plain tomato only, so sometimes cook veggies in & remove). No luck with any pre-pack lunchables thus far, tried them all. No to raisins, muffins (tried many), likes pancakes sometimes, but plain w/syrup, BACON (yuk!) hard boil eggs but NOT the yolk of course, bread & butter, think that sums it up. Use to drink fruitables so felt he got some veg juice there, now does not like anymore. Hard to sneak in veggies to any of this & he notices immediately if somethings tastes the least bit different, even when I dont!
    tialynne1965

Comment by tialynne1965 (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Feb. 13, 2011